Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone make a diesel conversion for a TJ with a stock 4 cylinder? Does the TJ's 4 share the same bolt pattern as the 6 and if not what does it share its pattern with? I am wanting to swap a 4 cylinder (preferable Cummins) diesel in a TJ with a 4 cyl/5 speed. Would the 5 speed be able to handle the 350 lb. ft. of torque I would be sending it? Any info is appreciated greatly.

Scott C

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
That would be an interesting swap, how bout a 7.3 powerstroke???? Steve

Mopar360yj
87yj+20,74CHR.030360,SOA,35BFGATs,46RH,241DHD,
D60-44-4.10

·
Registered
531 Posts
I know that Axis makes a kit to put the vw turbo diesel in a samurai, perhaps they-- make a swap kit for a jeep. Not sure about it , might be worth looking into. One of distributors is Rocky Road Outfitters--www.rocky-road.com. thought this might help.......good luck

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
he had a huge talk about those two engines a while back and came to the conclusion that the weigh and size would not allow them to work very well, they are both huge blocks that weigh over 1000 lbs. the only diesel that I heard of people using is the chevy 6.5 td, this is a smaller engine, but still has some of the same problems. search the board for diesel. this has come up several times before
-Marky

80 CJ-7 Laredo 304v8 TF999 3.73's BFG M/T's

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I am not going to put a BIG diesel like a 6.5 or a Powerstroke because of the weight factor. I am planning on putting in a 3 to 4 liter 4 cyl. diesel. Cummins, Detroit, Isuzu, and Kubota all have good models in this size that put out over 300 lb. ft. of torque. I was just wondering if anyone has any experience putting one of these engines in a Jeep while retaining the stock drivetrain (which a 6.5 or 7.3 would surely roach). But thanks anyway cause i like diesels and any info is good info.

Scott C

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I have an isuzu NPR with the 3.9 turbo diesel engine in it, the isuzu bellhousing is very similar to the scout t-18 or t19 setup, I have thought this would be a good swap, I just have not found one at the right price ($3500 is the going rate). I also run a case 580E backhoe with the cummins 4B engine in it,this is a feasible swap also but still a little heavy. the 4b cummins uses a SAE bellhousing so there should be bellhousings around to mate to the sm420-435 transmissions or ford t-18, I have also considered the 3-53 detroit from the military GAMA-GOAT this comes with the sm420 from the factory. If you need measurements or help let me know.
jjc

·
Registered
194 Posts
I had a 4 cylinder Isuzu and also a 4 cylinder Perkins in a Jeep YJ. The only problem with either of these engines was the top end was limited to about 50mph(isuzu) and 65(perkins). So if you want more speed than that I really think that a turboed engine is really what you'd want. The problem with the smaller engines is that you work them to hard and the fuel mileage suffers. I got 20mpg with the Isuzu and about 23mpg with the Perkins. Just telling you because if you put that kind of money in it and it is too much of a slug for you it really sucks. I was very disappointed with both of these engines so i replaced it with the 6.5l and am very happy with it.

YJ with a 6.5L Turbo Diesel
and A.J.'s fiberglass body

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.