Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here is the deal, I have the title of my 79 cj that was totaled a while ago, which I still own. I am intrested in a 86 jeep cj, and I wanted to use my 79 title for easier emissions. How hard would this be to do?? Also, does an 86 jeep with 50k on a 350/t-4 combo,4in lift,33's, 44 scout axles with 3.07 gears (has 4.56 gears not installed with rear locker, and lots of surface rust sound ok for five grand???

·
Registered
418 Posts
'Taint legal, unless you reuse the 79 frame. If there's any sign that the body or VIN plate was removed, they'll look at the duplicate VIN on the frame..... if they can find it. If they don't match you're in trouble! When I registered my 79 CJ5 with glass body, they took note that the VIN plate had been removed and reinstalled on the glass body, and sent me to DMV HQ (I'm in CT) for verification. They searched for the frame VIN (on a 79 CJ it's supposed to be on the top of the frame in the rear wheel well or in the engine compartment), but it wasn't visible. They finally gave up and let me go, charging me $50 for a duplicate plate, which they glued to the body.

-Dana

Baby oil is NOT made by squeezing dead babies!

·
Registered
4,893 Posts
uh-oh.. i just replaced my frame... and i have had a fiberglass body for years.... now what do i do?.. the fram i used clearly has numbers stamped into the side of it

~~Elusive~~
it's sort of still a cj thingy....

·
Registered
418 Posts
I hope you got a receipt for the frame..... depends on your state DMV, you might have to retitle it as a "salvage" vehicle.

-Dana

Resist militant "normality" -- A mind is a terrible thing to erase.

·
Registered
1,741 Posts
I know some states, if you use a newer model motor the emissions fall under the newer model. so if you use the 79 frame with the 86 motor you still must have 86 emission laws. also its illegal to use an older model motor in a newer frame.

brownbagg

·
Registered
4,618 Posts
mmm.. im putting a 95 yj frame under a 91 yj tub.. with a 78 401.. and the vin numbers are from a 84 that i have the salvage title too.. but the title doesnt state that it has been salvaged. i didnt see any numbers on my frame.. and i went over it quite well.. oh well.. sue me.. im trying to get a title to the 81 vin numbers i have.. so i can title it as a 81.. so next year i can put collectors plates on it..
please do not notify the dmv on any of this..
:)

survival is instinct, but living takes guts

·
Registered
4,618 Posts
hehehe.. dont worry.. i have spoken with them.. and have taken their advice.. which was to just register it as is per the title.. and not say anything when i do this.. told them i could live with that..

survival is instinct, but living takes guts

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.