Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What is the largest possible size tire that can be placed under a CJ-5? I want to raise my Jeep like none other, the kind of thing people see thumping down the road and scream "oh my god! Look out!!" I'm thinking somewhere along the lines of 44's, maybe bigger if its possible. If not, what sort of other rig can take these large tires with the least amount of mods? Maybe a Blazer?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Tire size is only limited by budget and if you still want to be street legal.
By swapping in full sized axle's with lift springs on a SOA you could easily fit 44" tires.
44" is about as big as you can get and still meet D.O.T.
requirements for street legal.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The big Firestones look sort of like oversized Ground Hawgs (These were the original "Bigfoot" tires) & require either a 20" or 22.5" rim - can't remember which. But, other than the visual shock, what else are you trying to do here. It's highly unlikely that you'll be able to get such a beast to pass inspection, so figure on trailering it everywhere. Is this going to be a show/parade vehicle?, competition?, trail rider?, other?

TEX

/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif Got Mud?
G.U.M.B.O. Mud Racing

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
You're kidding, right...
On a CJ-5 it'll look like you're driving a toy Jeep out of a Wendy's kids' meal...people will probably laugh long before they move out of the way for the cops to pull you over /wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif I HAVE seen it done, but the vehicle was useless for anything beyond pulling it on and off the trailer for car shows. A Blazer or other full-size rig would be a better foundation for this.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
44" tires minus 15" of rim is 29" of rubber, give or take. Multiply that by 2 and you get... eh... 58" right? A CJ-5 is 81 inches long I think? You'll have a little less than 2 feet of clearance between the tires... sounds a little weird.. it's monstrous!!

Carl, Tampa, FL, 74 CJ-5
If a Jeep can't take you there, Think twice about going..

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Later CJ5's had 83" wheelbase (center of the front hub to center of the rear hub). Radius of a 44 is 22", times two & you lose 44" between the tires. That gives you 83-44 = 39" between the tires.

TEX

/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif Got Mud?
G.U.M.B.O. Mud Racing

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
actually i saw two jeeps cj5s with one with 40s and the other one with 44s they might have been both on 44s, they were at the bloomsburg show parked next to each other with an identical paint job (really nice looking red) one with a chevy 350 and the other with 327. the cj5 looked like twins ironically the just met at the show! also the one of those jeeps in a recent jp magazine for one of the jeep days on ohio, one of the guys lives in Conneticutt and drove the jeep on 44s to pennsylvania! I am almost positive!
later
84cj7

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.