Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all. I'm looking to replace my current rims and tires, but I don't fully understand the relationship between the two. I currently have 33x12.50R15 Mud Terrains, but not sure of the width of the current wheels. Looking to run the same new tires, but not sure which size rim -- 15x8 or 15x10. Can someone explain the pros/cons of each size wheel with those size tires to me? My CJ can handle the size, so that's not an issue. Also, looking at either the Cragar 342 or American Racing black D-windows. Any reviews?

Thanks much!!

Dozer

·
Registered
655 Posts
An 8 inch wheel will hold the bead on better at low pressures, but a 10 will make the tires wear better on the road.

·
Registered
2,348 Posts
You say that you Jeep can handle the size... Does that mean that you
Have enough lift?
Or that you have enought lift, and a stronger than stock Drivetrain?

If you have a "up to the cahllange" Drive train... then I would go with a 10" wide rim, that way, if the next time you get tires, and they are bigger... you will be ready. A 12.5" tire is about as wide as you want to go on an 8" rim. If in a year or so, you get a new set of tires that are 13, or 14" wide, you will be pushing the limits of your 8" rim..

·
Registered
991 Posts
Discount Tire carries a black steel wheel that looks just like the Cragar Soft 8 (it may be the exact same wheel, sold under their own brand: Unique) It has round holes instead of D-shaped wheels and has a bit heavier load rating. They price matched a Quadratec catalog and I bought five 8 x 15 wheels for $200. They are not fancy, but they are cheap, round and hold the tire. What more could you want!

PS They are all black with no pinstripe, which was a bonus to me.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts