Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was just given, yes given /wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif 4 Brand new 30x9.5 Goodyear Wrangler GS-A
I know these are not an aggressive off road tire nor are they huge....but they were free! Complete with the little nubby things still on....
They will quickly replace my badly warn, damaged & unsafe 31x10.5's...
So anyway here is my question, dumb as it may be:
The tread on either side of the tire is different than the other...I would like to mount them with the white lettering facing IN not out....is this bad? Will it change the tires performance or safety? Here is a PIC of the tread:

Red 7 in the Green Mountain State
84 CJ7 / 258 / weber

torx: the root of all evil.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Shouldn't be able to tell a difference.

/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif 78 CJ7 "Issues" /wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Am I crazy for trying to run 30's?
Is the difference between 30x9.5's and 31x10.5's
night and day? We are saving for a house right now and new 31's (or bigger) would be tough....
I really want to replace the unsafe tires I have now....and these were free..

84 CJ7 / 258 / weber

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
If you don't want to run these tires you could always sell them and add some money to what you get so you can get the tires that you want or maybe make a trade with some one here.

·
Registered
4,060 Posts
There is quite a visual difference, but its no big deal. I'd say keep them and run them. Later on (when you've got the house and what-not) get some cheap steel rims and SS TSL SXs and use the Goodyears as street tires only....

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I havent put them side by side the 31's, is it really just an inch difference in height?

84 CJ7 / 258 / weber

G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
According to the sidewall it would be an inche difference. But we all know that the tire rarely measures up to what the manufacturer states on the side. So, it is possible that there is no difference in heght, ot there could be 1, 2, or more inches different. I think it is Regul that makes a 35" mud terrain that is hardly bigger, if at all, than a BFG 33 mud terrain.

Austin's Auto Accessories, LLC
5205 Gulf Breeze Parkway
Gulf Breeze, Florida 32561
Ph.# 850-916-7100

G

·
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Those tires did really good on the clay here in NC, they sounded like suction cups...

JR
'94YJ,4cyl,33SX's,Locked F/R,NV4500,Soon to come:Wagoneer 44 Scout 44 & spools

G

·
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
so....
I put them side by side, the 30's are real close to the same height as the 31's I have...they are however 1.5" narrower, which is fine with me....
I think I am gonna mount them. I need to get new rims though. The rims I have are super wide....
I think I am gonna go with 15x8 rims...
Can I mount these 30x9.5's on 15x8" rims? I want to be able to "upgrade" later.

84 CJ7 / 258 / weber

·
Registered
7,901 Posts
Yes, they will fit fine. Those exact tires came stock on our TJ on 8" rims.

JEEPN
Winter Harbor, Maine
'81 CJ-8 Scrambled, It's a Jeep, Chevy, IHC kinda thing!
'88.5 Zuki, 5" Calmini, Locked, Swamped, Rolled, and just generally broken in right!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.