Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3,758 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
At the recent Rockcrawling Championship in Arizona, I witnessed many vehicles with Goodyear's MT tires. They didn't seem to work as well as the Swampers. I heard that the MTs worked really good in the RCC in Farmington. Anyone care to comment on what they've seen or experienced with the Goodyear MTs vs. another tire.
Gnarls.

G

·
Well, I have both events on tape. I was NOT at either, never been to either place, etc etc etc, so this is JUST my opinion, but.....

The farmington event seemed to have a lot of sheer vertical cliffs. In addition, although it was mostly rock, that rock was covered by a fine layer of dust/dirt. The result of this was a) a lot of running at/up sheer rock faces, trying to claw your way up, and b) a LOT of tires spinning. As a result, in my opinion, the goodyear radials did better than the swampers because in order to get decent traction for SPINNING tires the swampers had to more or less be aired up, and under those conditions they don't flex well. In other words, the radials continued to flex well even though they were aired up.

At the hammers event, the rock crawling was a little more 'traditional' in that although there were plenty of chances to roll and many off camber sections, there was not nearly as many sheer vertical cliffs, and there SEEMED to be more less loose dirt around, so the swamper drivers were able to air down like they usually do, and get the flex and traction that they normally enjoy. The goodyears did well at this event, too, but did not seem to have the advantage that they did at the farmington event.

One thing I noticed about the warn (hammers) event was there seemed to be a LOT less winching, and almost no winching up vertical cliffs. As well, there seemed to be a LOT less tire spin, and situations where tires were unable to gain traction. What there was a lot more of was very technical rock crawling where it was not a matter of clawing your way up a cliff, but carefully plotting your line to set yourself up for the NEXT obstacle while scaling the CURRENT obstacle. Just my opinion.

There is also the factor that the goodyears come in max 35 X 12.5, and the hammers event seemed to favour those with massive ground clearance, which the goodyear drivers could not get beyond 35 inch tires.

what this means as far as which is better I don't know - I do know I'm really wishing goodyear would come out with some wider and larger sizes, though, but I don't think this is going to happen.

Again, just my opinion formed from watching the tapes. Could be I'm totally off base.

Chad

·
Registered
3,758 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Chad,
That was a very insightful response and you made some great observations. I agree with you. I also saw the tapes from NM and CA. It appears that getting the best traction may require different tires for different terrain. Kinda like track racing, changing tires and air pressure for a specific track. It's interesting to see how "technical" 4-wheeling has become over the past several years. Thanks again for your comments.
Gnarls.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.