Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
805 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello Jeep fans.
I come to you from the Chevy board with a question for a friend.

He has a stock 99 Wrangler with 235/75/15. He wants to know the max tire size he can run and keep the stock wheels. Any input would be appreciated. Thanks in advance

1994 Z71 350, Xcab, Sportside, 285/75/16 BFG AT. Trailmaster 4" lift

G

·
I have a 98 wrangler sport with the stock 15x8 rims and I'm running 31x10.5 Goodyear MT/R's the only place they rub is on the front lower control arms at full steering lock which can be easily fixed by adjusting the steering stops.

·
Registered
805 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the replies.

I'll pass the info onto him. He does not have any lift on it now and was just wanting to know how big he can go before needing one.

I think he'll be OK with 31's since he only does a little trail riding, nothing to cause him to flex it bad

Thanks again

·
Registered
7,958 Posts
Nice truck.

Yes, 31x10.5's are the largest he can run effectively without rubbing. Larger tires will fit, but will hit either the inside of the fender or the flare when turning and flexing, moreso if he has swaybar disconnects.

When he puts them on, he'll have to adjust the steering stops as the tires will rub at full lock. This is easy to do and you don't loose hardly any steering radius. Just take and back the stock bolts out and shim behind it with some washers, or do like I did and get a new bolt and nut for $0.25 and adjust them yourself. I prefer the new bolt and nut because it allows you to get exactly the right radius for the rim size, mine don't touch, but there is less than 1/8" inch before it could. The original nut is tack welded to the bolt, so you can't adjust them.

I have been running 31x10.5's for the last 75K on the wife's '97 TJ, and a bunch of different brands, they'll work fine and won't rub.

If he hasn't already done so, have him get some swaybar disconnects if he's gonna wheel it, it's the single best thing he could do to improve its driveability off-road. He will get very minor rubbing on the top of the coil tower at full flex with the 31's, but it's nothing. Front swaybars only, the rear saybars offer very little additional flex (like 5 points on a 23 degree ramp, I measured mine).

JEEPN
Winter Harbor, Maine
'81 CJ-8 Scrambled, It's a Jeep, Chevy, IHC kinda thing!
'88.5 Zuki, 5" Calmini, Locked, Swamped, Rolled, and just generally broken in right!

G

·
i got a 2000 wrangler, but it came w/ 30x9.5 tires and 15x8 wheels. however i think the stock TJ's come w/ 15x7. 31" tires are the biggest tires u can fit on a TJ w/o a lift and theyll actually fit on the 15x7 wheels, but they do much better on the 15x8. hope this helps.

It's not a CAR, it's not a TRUCK...its a JEEP-get it right.

·
Registered
805 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I'm thinking that they'll fit better with the 15x7 wheel. The 15x8 would make it a little wider, thus increasing the likeliness that they will rub.
At least that was my experience with my Z71. I went from a stock 7 inch to an 8 inch with a little less backspacing and it made the 285's rub. This didn't happen when I had 285's on the stock wheels.
He just wants to fill up the wheel wells. The 235's look a bit scrawny. I will reccomend 31 x 10.5's to him

Thanks again for all your help

·
Registered
7,958 Posts
He won't be disappointed. You're right about the 7" rim being a little better, the 8" is a little wide, but our TJ came stock with the 30x9.5's on the 8" rim. The 31's were never offered on a TJ.

JEEPN
Winter Harbor, Maine
'81 CJ-8 Scrambled, It's a Jeep, Chevy, IHC kinda thing!
'88.5 Zuki, 5" Calmini, Locked, Swamped, Rolled, and just generally broken in right!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.