Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
908 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
got the 35s today and they due rub the sway bar and the radius arm (i think thats what it is called) with a 3 in body lift and 15X8 rims but god what a difference it makes it only rubs in really tight turns and havnt had it rub on normal road driving so i can live with it if any one has any ideas short of putting on a suspension lift or buying new rims (the ones I just got are new $ 35's and 4 new rims for $400)I would love to here them someone told me about offset radius arms is there such a thing and do they make them for big broncos

·
Registered
3,090 Posts
less backspacing makes them rub easier under full compression, as it wont fit into the wheel well like it will now.

·
Registered
2,074 Posts
No matter how much lift you do, you will have this rub with those rims but as Bruned said if you go to the wider rims you will then need the lift to cure the new rub.

thus either live with the rub or by rims and a lift.

·
Registered
6,842 Posts
is there a noticable difference in the steering when going from 4.5 to 2.5" bs? yes 80bronco, one of the TTB lift companies has extended arms that have more curve to help fit tires... i'm thinking Rancho maybe?

·
Registered
2,508 Posts
As Hoss says, there is a little bolt that can be adjusted out. course this hits a stopper and reduces your turning radius, but if it's hitting anyway. ..

Most lift kits Manuf. have offset type extended radius arms. Mine are made by Rancho. These cost $$$$

You can always take off the swaybar, many of us are running without one. that eliminates that rub.

And, yes backspacing is critical. Too much and you have the rub issues on "inside stuff" like radius arms/swaybars. go too far out, and you can run into wheelwell rubbing as Burned has stated. There are wheel spacers that go between the wheel and its mounting. This would help offset the wheel out, but I hear these cause extra strain on the wheel lugs, so...caution here. They are cheap though.

·
Registered
908 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
hey juice can you take a pic of that little bolt so I know what i am turning i was wondering if there was a way to reduce my turning radius also what way would i turn it. also here is a pic of the new tires the rims on the front are the new ones and i have to get the other two rims mounted still. not bad thought 2 rims in the box 2 tires with the little rub knubs still on them and 2 rims on the truck with 2 slightly used tires for $400 i appreciate all of the help

·
Registered
920 Posts
Re: Steering Limit Adjustor Bolt

So that's what that is for. I have big tire rub too. Maybe I'll do a little adjusting until I can get those 15x10. Axle drops should be here tomorrow from TC. I won't know how to act with a good alignment and new bushings. Are these pretty much a direct bolt on does anyone know?

·
Registered
908 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·

thanks that is great to know thoght i would have to do some adjuxtiong on the gear box and didnt really want to mess with that I will give that a try

·
Registered
2,508 Posts

Thanks WD-40 for steepin' in there. Never know how long he might have had to wait for me to post a pic.
. Hey looky there, that post is back when you were a "Newbie"
. Probably was into driven' Yugos back then!!!!!!!!!!
DOAHHHHHHHHH

·
Registered
908 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·

adjusted bolts and still had to remove sway bar but no rub now and I am still happy with the turning radius. Here are is a pic I took over in a new development were they are cutting new road and have a pretty good dirt wall maybe 2 to 2 1/2 ft high

·
Registered
2,508 Posts

Looks good Tony. Looks like you're getting your son used to all this wheelin' stuff as well!!!

Are you getting any wheel rub while flexing on the rear part of your front wheelwell?

·
Registered
908 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·

Yeah he is starting to have a little fun with it and I am not getting any rub anywhere now but what happens on the trail maybe a little different. So far so good

1 - 18 of 18 Posts