Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
321 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I will be starting to look for new tires soon. Currently I have BFG ATs and I don't really like how they perform. I need a good tire for loose rock and dry dirt. I live in Bay Area and most of the time it's dry here. I don't care about road noise, but I do care about weight, as I have D35 in the rear for now and want to keep the strees as low as possible. I will still be driving it on the freeway, but it's not a daily driver.

I wanted to stay with a radial tire, as my jeep just sits during the week and biased tires get flat spots from sitting on the ground, so I wanted to avid that.

However I am open to any suggestions. I need maximnun amount of traction possible for my type of terrain, OK road characteristics (my wife doesn't want rough ride :)), I want to get at least 20k-25k miles out of them.

What are you suggestions?

<>< 1992 Jeep YJ
4.0 I6, RE 4.5 ED, 2 BL, 32x11.5 ATs
http://dennisuello.tripod.com/

·
Registered
7,958 Posts
Do a search, we've covered this many times.

My vote is for the BFG MT.

JEEPN
Winter Harbor, Maine
'81 CJ-8 Scrambled, It's a Jeep, Chevy, IHC kinda thing!
'88.5 Zuki, 5" Calmini, Locked, Swamped, Rolled, and just generally broken in right!

G

·
Gotta agree with JEEPN about the BFG MT, may be the best all around tire. BUT, after seeing the performance of Goodyear MTRs, I do believe the BFGs have a definite competitor. On Sunday we did the Waterfall Trail in Chokecherry, and on that 4+ trail the Jeeps with the Goodyears had by far the best luck.

Brad
ORC Land Use Section Editor
http://www.off-road.com/land
Vice-Pres. Rock Garden 4 Wheelers, Farmington, NM
http://rockgarden.rockcrawler.com

·
Registered
773 Posts
I like the Bridgestone MTs. I think they are a very good tire, but seem to get overlooked in most of the tests even though just about everyone I see with them are very happy. Mine are very quiet for a MT and they have some extra rubber of supposed harder compound around the outer edge for more resistance to to cuts, tears, punctures. They should last a long time if they are like the AT version I had on another truck (60k+). I've had two sets of the BFG ATs and can tell a difference in the balance and handling between them, the Bridgestones are better, in my opinion. The weight may be an issue, I'm pretty sure the Bridgestones outweigh the BFGs due to a heavier construction. Bridgestone was offering a 30 test drive on theirs tires, I'm not sure if they still are, but that might be worth looking into.
I kind of like the Explorer Pro Comp MTs, but I was told they are not quite as durable and handle slightly worse than the BFGs, so I probably will not try those. Anyway, just my thoughts. I know its hard looking over so many tires and just trying to pick one.

BMB

·
Registered
523 Posts
My vote is for the Swamper SSR's i have a set one my jeep that i got used. 33's,I love them

76 CJ7, 258,Jeep T18, D20 TC, D30 & AMC20.
4" Superlift, 33" SSR's

G

·
my MTR"s are great! great traction, smooth ride on pvmt, 3 ply sidewall with tread wrapped around the sidewall, nice whirrr on the pvmt, good looking tire, radial with no flat spots....... not cheap!/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif

steve
87yj,6cly,5spd(ba10/wwwthreads_images/icons/frown.gif),NP231,4.5"RE susp,1" body,SYE,CV,32x11.50MTR's,D30,D35posi

G

·
I may be out on my own here, but I swear by General Grabber MT's. I have a set of 31's on my Wrangler. The price was pretty good, they are not too loud, great traction, and I have put about 35k on them while only using 15-20 percent of the tread. Not bad in my book. I have been very impressed by the fact that they have never come out of balance as my last set BFG's did constantly. I cant tell you anything about the weight though. Hope this helps.

Holy sh*t thats a long way down!

·
Registered
7,958 Posts
I'm probably going to catch he!! for this, but IMHO a Swamper radial shouldn't even be called a Swamper.

Here is a pic of a 33" bias next to a 33" radial, both are 1/2 worn.

JEEPN
Winter Harbor, Maine
'88.5 Zuki, 5" Calmini, Locked, Swamped, Rolled, and just generally broken in right!

Attachments

·
Registered
553 Posts
I am going to have to go with BMB on this one.
I have a set of the Bridgestone's on the Willys and when on rock they have never slipped once.
I have seen a set of mud kings go up the same rock and spin tires everywhere.
I know you said you are in loose rock and dry dirt mostly and they perform well there too.
One thing about the bridgestones is they are made with two rubber compounds.
The inner layer is a harder compound and the outer layer is a softer compuond for better traction.
These tires are also made with some chemical that is supposed to help against dry rotting.
I don't know if this is a problem for you, but it is there if you need it.
My tires were about $125 each after taxes.
Hope this helps.

Member TX 4X4 club Arlington Chapter
1946 CJ-2A ---- stock and rebuilt
1987 XJ ---- stock and waiting to be rebuilt
1998 TJ ---- stock Daily Driver

G

·
One thing about the difference between radial and bias swampers. True, the 33 radials tread is very closed, but in the bigger sizes it is more open. My friend Steve just put 36 tsl radials on his Bronco, the tread pattern is open, unlike the 33s, but not as open as the bias either. AND, especially in the 33s, there is a BIG difference in actual size. The radial is a true 33, the bias is 34.

Brad
ORC Land Use Section Editor
http://www.off-road.com/land
Vice-Pres. Rock Garden 4 Wheelers, Farmington, NM
http://rockgarden.rockcrawler.com

·
Registered
7,958 Posts
My bias' in the picture measure 33" and the radials measure 31.5", I know the website says different, but I have taped them.

I am not familiar with the larger sizes, just the 33's and down for radials and all sizes of bias.

JEEPN
Winter Harbor, Maine

G

·
How do the baja claws perform. Ive heard that they dont do so hot in the mud but I know of someone who does great with them in the snow. How are they?

69' Jeep CJ6, 225 v6 buick, turbo 400, dana 18

·
Registered
439 Posts
go with the big shiny black ones, worry about the rest later

Chad

84 & 76 CJ-7's Give me a striaght six cummins diesel anyday. [email protected]

G

·
OK since we're on the topic of tires i've got a few questions. I'm getting tires soon and i'd like to get at least a 33 12.50. who has the best for mud, and these tires will see the street daily. I am going for the aggresive look too. Road noise isn't a prob if any one doesn't like it they can walk.
I'm prolly gonna get laughed at but how are thornbirds one the street and in the mud???
last question... What is the difference between all the super swamper versions. tsl,radial,sx steel belted,????

If you can't break it, Try Harder/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif
79 CJ-7/304/T-150 I think/Dana20/No tires(yet)/rust/wwwthreads_images/icons/frown.gif
[email protected]

·
Registered
288 Posts
you should put a 33x12.50 SSR next to both of those tires. it would look like a 35 compared to those. i personally(today as a matter of fact) compared side by side the following tires(all 33" unmounted): SSR, TSL, TSL radial, and Bogger. the bogger was actually a 33x14.00 but anyway, results from BIGGEST to SMALLEST: SSR, TSL, BOGGER, TSL RADIAL. the difference between the TSL radial and the SSR are laughable...seriously like 2.5 inches.

92 blazer sport, 3" rough country/custom lift, 4.10 gears, 285/75 yok. geolander mt on stockers, warn x8000i on Trans4mer, flowmaster, k&n, 180,000 miles on original motor and tranny..ha ha.

·
Registered
321 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Most of the manufacturers recommend 10 inch rim for 12.5 wide tires. All of their tire height measurements are for 10 inch rim. Would that mean that on 8 inch rime the tire will be actually taller and by how much?

height starting with the smaller (all are 33x12.5) - all measurements are from manufacturer's sites:
Goodyear MTR - 32.4"
Cooper Discoverer SST - 32.5"
ProComp MT - 32.5"
Yokohama Geolandar MT - 32.7"
TSL radial - 32.7"
Dunlop Mud Rover - 32.8"
Bridgestone Dueler MT - 32.8"
General Grabber MT - 32.8"
BFG MT - 32.9"
Baja Claw radial - 33.0"
Parnelli Jones MT - 33.3"
SSR - 33.4"