Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
That long thread on crawl ratios got me to thinking along those lines a bit more, something I already knew but had illustrated very well last weekend. No matter how deep your crawl ratio is over 100:1, and no matter what kind of lockers you got in both ends, if you aint got the right tires for the job your not going anywhere. There is a very steep, loose(unusual for around here) climb in the middle of Spider Canyon. A Wrangler with 33" MTs, locked in the rear and NOT in front, and a crawl ratio under 50:1 made this climb unassisted, those MTs just dug down thru the sand and dirt until they hit the underlying slickrock. BUT, a very well built CJ with a crawl ratio of over 100:1, locked both ends and 35" ATs could not make it up past about halfway, those ATs just couldn't dig to the rock, they were spinning like they were on ball bearings, ended up taking the cable. I always knew this, ran MTs for many years in AZ, bought ATs a couple years ago and have regretted it ever since. If you use your Jeep on anything other than pure slickrock or the street, ATs are definitely a POOR choice. Personally, I'll be swapping back to an MT as soon as I can find the money, I'll have a set of BFG ATs for sale somewhere down the road! /wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif

Brad
ORC Land Use Editor

and
http://home.off-road.com/~rockgarden

·
Registered
4,447 Posts
Im surprised you arent looking to get the Goodyear MT's, they are one bad ass tire. The 35's are reasonably priced, the 37's are basicly competition only.
I am gonna test a set of 37" on some trails above Fresno in a couple of weeks if everything goes right.
I agrre with you on the BFG though, the MT's are a good tire, and can be grooved and siped to very good traction tire. I just dont like the over flexy sidewalls. Ive seen way to many sidewall punctures and tears also.
Come to think of it, I dont think any radial tire would make my A-list of tire choices for an off road specific rig....But Im willing to change my opinion if some brand, can "Rock" my world.

Jeff
89 YJ
(sensibly altered for occasional off road use)
Vision without Action, is a Daydream. Action without Vision is a Nightmare.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Agreed the BFG M/T is twice the tire as the A/T but I am with H8 I have seen more BFG M/T's with torn sidewalls than any other tire. Some of my own! SCRAm

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Not recommending the BFG MTs, just using the term MT generically, that is, agressive tread pattern. Myself, I'm leaning towards Swampers, but if the bucks are available possibly the MTRs. The point was, ATs really do suck, and no matter how much money you throw at the rest of the rig, the tires are whats touching the ground.

Brad
ORC Land Use Editor

and
http://home.off-road.com/~rockgarden

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Good point.

As long as I am doing my Curoius George routine let me ask what thoughts are on the Baja Claw radials(33 x 12.5 on 10" rims specificly) . I know folks love the regular Baja Claws (if you can deal with the noise), but I will be on the road some too.

Don't mean to be asking too many questions, but the money is going out the door in a big hurry and the UPS guy is starting to give me dirty looks. The serious wrenching started last week end (disk brakes baby!). Don't want to be doing stuff twice because I didn't ask, ya know?

·
Registered
7,958 Posts
There are 4 main components to wheeling. Any one of the 4, if lacking, will leave you sucking wind.

The 4 components are

1) Suspension (travel, height, flex, whatever fits your terrain)
2) Tires (without a doubt)
3) Lockers (let's face it, you need them to wheel hardcore)
4) Driving ability (the most important).

The engine and gearing aren't included because they are more minor than the 4 listed above. I have seen the most built rig, with 1-3 (and gears and engine), but no 4, and we wound up dragging him all over the place (he had $77,000 in his Rover). I have also seen people limited by not having 1-3, but a lot of 4, it was amazing where he made that Willys go, but the limitations were apparent.

Up here, a Swamper simply can't be beat. I have seen the all other MT's clog (including the new MT/R and Claw) where the Swampers have remained clear. BFG MT's are OK, but do clog more than the MT/R's (but less than the Claws). They are a good compromise for a daily driver/wheeling tire though. I understand other parts of the country are a lot different, I'm just relating it to my piece of the world.

JEEPN
Waldoboro, Maine (yes, we're BACK!)
'81 CJ-8 Scrambled, It's a Jeep, Chevy, IHC kinda thing!
'88.5 Slamurai, 7" Lift, Locked, Swamped, Rolled, and just generally broken in right!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I hear what you are saying JEEPN, here in Nova Scotia we have the same terrain. Swampers rule here but cost too much for most of us. Anyone tried the Pro Comp X-terrain tires? They look more aggresive than the Baja claws. I have also seen MT/R' s outperform many tires, even in snow and ice which is a factor for 1/2 the year here. Has anyone noticed how 33 x 9.50's kick 33x 12.50's silly in snow? Don't know why but they do!

It will never be finished unless it burns up in the woods.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts