Off Roading Forums banner

Tire carrier

1K views 20 replies 6 participants last post by  **DONOTDELETE** 
G
#1 ·
WHen I upgrade to 33's, will I have to get a new tire rack? I just looked at the OR fab carrier on offroad.com's jeep page, and looks a bit more than I want to get into. I also like the third light on top of the tire. Anyone know the largest size tire that would go on the OEM Rack. I think if I ever had to use it, my stock tire, or a 31 would be fine to just drive home or what not. I also have fix a flat on hand. Just not sure about ripping crap off my TJ just yet

Give me some fresh air, and give me that farm, give me some time with you in my arms, cause I'm gonna feed my soul, where the black top ends...

#2 ·
The 31" is the largest that will fit, provided you remove the bump stops on the tailgate. Our 31" BFG just squeaks by the tail light on the stock 8" rims.

JEEPN
Winter Harbor, Maine
'81 CJ-8 Scrambled, It's a Jeep, Chevy, IHC kinda thing!
'88.5 Zuki, 5" Calmini, Locked, Swamped, Rolled, and just generally broken in right!

G
#5 ·
Inferno
I mounted my 33 on the stock carrier, took about a month before the tailgate got slammed and it bent.Plan on building one, or if you have the money buy one

Edder

Do you smell that?/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif

G
#7 ·
thats a nice rack, you built that> how long did it take to install?

Give me some fresh air, and give me that farm, give me some time with you in my arms, cause I'm gonna feed my soul, where the black top ends...

#8 ·
well. i actually took my time with it.. i drew it all out full sized on the dry erase board at work, getting all the dimensions down and everything. then i took pics of the plans with the digital camera and printed them out..so i guess that was one day. it took another day to go get steel and cut it all to the correct lengths, and another to weld it together. then it took a couple months till i got around to ordering the hing and latch...but only a few hours to get it all together once al the parts were here..

~~Elusive~~
http://www.jeepgod.net

G
#10 ·
ANother question for ya, do you have the stock rims on it? If sohow does that work without rubbing.. or is that only the spare that has the stock rim on it? thanks

G
#13 ·
I mounted my 33x12.50 tire on the factory mount. All I had to do was space the 3rd brake up. I didn't have to remove the bumpstops because the new rim has a 3 3/4 backset.

Too much throttle and popping the clutch makes your d35c snap at 11,500 miles

#14 ·
The 33x12.50 will not fit on a TJ with the canyon wheels. The 5" back spacing causes the tire to rub the rear spring mount without any flex. Also there is rubbing in the front when flexed. My wheels have 3.5" backspacing and there is no rubbing.

A 33x12.50 tire will fit on the stock spare tire mount(I put mine on when I drove it home), however, if you want the tailgate to survive I recommend a bumper mounted rack. First the tire is way too heavy, and if that doesn't get you, it will eventually catch on something because it sits so low.

2001 TJ, Far from Stock
83 CJ7 Laredo, Nearly Stock

#15 ·
thats correct.. the tires rub on the spring mount...even after some grinding on the mount, so my dad made me these wheel spacers on his machining center. he made me a set of 1.5" and 2". i used the 1.5" and they work perfect..no rubbing at all. they are made out of tool steel and the studs are treated tool steel... not threaded rod....unfortunately, dad wont manufacture them for anyone.. he's afraid of liability issues..

the 33 didnt fit on the stock mount with the stock rim...
the hinge is from http://www.rockstomper.com
it uses timken set 11 bearings and is not cast steel.. easy to weld and has a grease fitting. it was $45(ow)
the latch comes from a company called southco. they make all kinds of nifty latches here is their selection of draw latches.. http://www.southcoipsg.com/prd/lst_main.listscreen?NodeID=2129&Criteria=&RecCount=6&Lang_ID=0&StartingRow=0i used part number A1-11-912-20 and it was $35
here is a better pic of it.. i had to paint it a bit cause i burnt the cating a bit while welding it

the carrier also holds a hi-lift jack behind the tire.. i am happy with it

~~Elusive~~

G
#16 ·
dang, that is too bad that he won't manufacture anymore. I LOVE my stock 15x8 canyon rims, and hate to have to lose them but I want 33's too bad. Think he'd manufacture some spacers if I sent a signed waiver of any responsibility> hehe, I understand the reasons though. Nice TJ, great stuff on it..

G
#17 ·
And I'm in Chapel Hill, so I could drive and pick 'em up. I'm there often actually, my boss owns a store down there..no mailing or anything that would have to be done on your part.. After I get my TJ trail worthy, we should do some wheeling.. Always up for a good run

#20 ·
i saw those will, but i'm not sure how wild I'd be putting wheel studs into aluminum. I also think the the center hole looks a little small for a hub to go through. i sent my spare spacer back to my dad and he drilled a set of 5 on 5.5 holes and a set of 5 on 4.5 holes so i can use my old cj rims if i want...
i talked to him about makeing them again, he said that he had a lot of time in these..they might be too expencive(ie cheaper to get new rims)he could actually manufacture them making a die and casting them.thats a lot of tie... i am hoping that whn i retire i'll start doing things like that as a retirement gig...

~~Elusive~~

G
#21 ·
Will those spacers from JKS give enough backspacing for 33x12.5 TSL's? i like my rims.........lol

Give me some fresh air, and give me that farm, give me some time with you in my arms; cause I'm gonna feed my soul, where the black top ends...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.