Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,
We've decided on a Teraflex 3" kit for a 98 TJ Sahara. Dana 44, 4.0L, all options, etc. We'd like to use the stock wheels, the 5 spoke Cast Alum's for new BFG 33x12.50-15's. Only problem being that the stock wheels are 15"x7". Will the 7"rim work with a 12.5" tire? Thanks for any input you can provide...also, if anyone knows if that rim/tire combo can be used with no rubbing, please let us know. Thanks again!!

-Mike

1998 Dodge Ram 1500 Quad Cab 4x4 Laramie SLT Sport Plus--5.9L 360, auto, 3.92s, antispin, BFG A/Ts.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Mike, most of the people I wheel with run an 8" wheel with 33"x 12.50 tires. We've found that the tire is less likely to pop off the bead than
with a 10" wheel. A 7" wheel is IMO just to narrow for that size of tire.

Gary

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
You will need a minimum of 8" for 12.5, with 10" being ideal. Note, you don't want the rim wider than the tire, otherwise, the rim sticks out so rocks can have fun with them. I'm running 32x11.5 with 8" rims and its about perfect. The same tire on your rims might work ok. I know its not as wide as you would want but its cheaper. Its a tough choice for you....rims are not cheap.

If you do get new rims, make sure the back spacing is correct. Too much or too little and the tire is going to rub in all the wrong places.

John......southern CA
84CJ7, 3"lift, 32"BFG, 4.10's, ARB Locker, Solid Axle's, Durabak

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thanks a lot, guys, you really make things easier!!

-Mike

1998 Dodge Ram 1500 Quad Cab 4x4 Laramie SLT Sport Plus--5.9L 360, auto, 3.92s, antispin, BFG A/Ts.

·
Registered
261 Posts
I run 33x12.50 BFG MT's on my two four bys, on one I run 15x8's and the other uses 15x8.5's. if you are going to air down the 8 inch rims will be less likely to pop a bead. Also many of the people I've seen that run 10 inch or wider rims with 12.50 tires beat the snot out of their rims on the rocks, the rims are gouged and dented more easily because they stick out farther I've got the road hazard so new tires are free so I'd rather beat up my tires than my rims.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.