Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Somebody posted on this a couple of days ago: There's a clickety noise coming from the front end somewhere. One thing that I noticed is that it happens when I'm cornering and braking. I get a tick tick tick noise that seems to coincide with my rate of speed. When I start braking I get a fast clickety clickety noise that slows down to a tick tick tick noise as the revolutions of my wheels decreases. The only thing I could find up there that's loose is on the tie rod. That sleeve with the two clamps on it that holds the inner and outer tie rods together moves. I tightened down the clamps but the inner tie rod still moves freely. I'm assuming that it shouldn't move. The whole assembly will move more as the bushings wear out but the inner and outer tie rods shouldn't move independently of each other, right?

/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gifSomebody once said "Go Big" . . . Well we're goin' Full Size/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif

Attachments

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
youre right jim, they shouldnt be loose. maybe you hit something offroad and bent the arm?? cause when you tightened those clamps down, it shouldve made em tight, thats why im thinking something might be bent...does it look normal (other than being loose)??

Mike ~
* Earnhardt Forever *

89 Chevy K1500 - 350TBI/700R4/NP241 - 3" lift - 33's

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Could it be the CV axles? They make a similar sound whem worn out.

How does it feel to be beaten by a sewing machine?
HUSQVARNA WXC610

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
MPH: It doesn't look bent to me. Not sure why this clamp isn't getting a good bite on that inner tie rod.

Drew: I spose it could be the CV but hope it's not and wouldn't know what one sounds like if it did go out. This is my first truck.

Did I hear somebody say solid axle swap?/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif

/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gifSomebody once said "Go Big" . . . Well we're goin' Full Size/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I had previously posted a simliar problem. But the same noise is heard all the time (especially when I hit potholes and rough road). I got some good ideas from this and another forum on where to inspect. My previous inspection was a little more haphazzard, so this weekend I'm checking every nook 'n crany. The noise sounds like a cheap fix b/c the metal is sounding very light in weight (it's a light clinkity clink sound that's loud)...I just got to find the darn source.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Sounds like the brake pads and slightly worped rotors to me...Does the noise stop if you stomp the brakes? Worn cv's make the clitty click too like previosly mentioned!!

It's as close to a 1ton as it can get and still be a jeep!!! Gotta love it!!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
It really starts when I'm braking but I haven't tried "stomping" the brakes.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.