Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I changed my intake gasket because I thought it was leaking. After I was through, my jeep would still not idle. I then sprayed carb cleaner into the jets that are in the throat of the carb,and it fixed my problem. Whats up with this? How can I fix this for once and for all. Do I need disasemble my carb and clean it or what?

G

·
If carb-cleaner did the trick, why would you try to fix something that ain't broke?

I personally just get everything cleaned out every once in a while .. run the good gas, gas-line anti-freeze, and run the P!$$ outta it till the gastank is almost dry .. then refill with your favorite gas, and call it done!

Laters!

Vance - Calgary, Alberta, Canada
1985 4x4 S-10 and 1988 Jeep YJ

·
Registered
6,784 Posts
What you sprayed carb cleaner into was the air bleeds, and they determine all of the mixtures in the carb. Cleaning air bleeds before racing is an old veterans trick.
It's also a tuners trick, cover the air bleeds with your fingers, and see if the idle changes.
If it does, things are working, if it doesn't then the carb is your problem, the bleeds are stopped up.

NEVER, EVER DRILL OR RESTRICT THOSE AIR BLEEDS! You will make the carb junk in a matter of seconds.

YOU NEED A BETTER AIR CLEANER! Air bleeds just don't stop up for no reason.
There has to be some source for crud to get into them...

You didn't say if you had a I-6, or V-8. The typical 350 CID engine takes a 3" tall, 14" in diameter minimum air cleaner at 5,000 RPM. Use as much air cleaner as you can get under the hood! Use a good quality paper filter air cleaner, and change it often.

Just thinking out loud...

When a fool and a wise man argue, Onlookers can't tell the difference...

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.