Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Recently I started going to the Mercedes ELITE program, which is basically a Mercedes-based school for new technicians. I've rencently been doing some research on Mercedes vehicles and I stumbled upon these Unimog vehicles. Being an off-road enthusiast (Jeep rock-crawler) I always knew they existed but I never looked into them. THESE THINGS ARE SWEET!!! They seem a little too big for southern California which sucks because I'd definitley consider buying one.

· Registered
947 Posts
Ive been wanting a 416 Crewcab....

http://www.unimog-forever.com/Specialties/416-CrewCab/e416cc.htm

I think I just had an orgasm!.... """"'Man that is such a SWEET AZZED RIG!!!!!!!!!!!!"""""""

My wife thinks they are ugly. I am still working on her. One of these days I will have one to drive around town and on trail runs.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I too am mostly into jeeps myself but have had an interest in unimogs for years, I am intterested in dropping a travel trailer on the back of one and building it into an all terrain camper,Where can you buy one? are they easy to get in the US? How much?

· Registered
947 Posts
I tried talking my wife into that...as you can normally get a radio truck for a decent cost..and then convert the box over to s sleeper with kitchen....my wife thinks the mogs are ugly....otherwise I would own one or two or three........

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ugly?!

Ugly? That is a work of 4x4 art. How can it be ugly? I would love to have one of those. How much do they usually run for? Probably way out of my price range but still good to know certain things.

· Registered
947 Posts
Re: Ugly?!

Well...you can normally find a decent crewcab that needs some work for between 7000 and 12000 dollars US.... A few years ago you could get a nicely done crewcab for about 20,000 dollars US. I am not sure what they are going for now. But the nice thing was that for about 1/4 the price of a Humvee...you could buy a Unimog which "WILL" keep the living crap out of any humvee! The Mog is far superior to the hummer....just like the Land Cruiser is far superior to any jeep. Then again G-wagen is nice....as are most MB 4x4 wagons and swb 4x4's......and the Toyota Megacruiser is really nice. A Megacruiser will kick the crap out of a hummer too....and they have allwheel steering...sorry..GM didnt invent 4wheel steering....LoL...

Dave

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

The Land Cruiser is far superior to any Jeep? Um, I don't think so. I believe the Jeep Rubicon would wipe the floor with a stock Land Cruiser. No doubt about it.

· Registered
947 Posts

Land Cruisers have been with lockers for years.

Something jeep just offered recently. Unlike some people think....jeep did not invent the 4x4 and there are vehicles that are far above a jeep. Dr Porsche had a 4wheel drive vehicle decades between the jeep came into the world. The TLC, Mog, G-wagen, Pinzgaür are just a few 4x4 rigs are are above a stock jeep and they are in their stock form. Also there are several series of Land Cruisers that have been around for decades and they came from the factory with front and rear lockers. I know you are proably just thinking of the FJ40. I think of wagons when I speak about land cruisers. Mainly because I am a family man and have owned almost TLC wagons. I have owned a couple FJ40's. Toyota did offer a cable locker as an option a very very very long time before jeep ever thought about doing so...under whom ever owned them(jeep) at what ever time. I just recently sold my 1988 Toyota Land Cruiser FJ62 wagon and it had the option of front and rear cable lockers. My brother is a hardcore jeep owner. I have friends that are hardcore jeep owners. But they have to build their rigs to the level mine is stock. And a cherokee is not in the same class as a stock TLC Wagon. A cherokee would be in the same class as a 4runner. But if you wish to compare...in person...then I am sure we can arrange a local toyota TLCA club gathering in your area and compare the abilities of both the jeep you own and the ones the club members own.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

I have to agree that the Land Cruiser is better than a Jeep. Now I'm not saying Jeeps are bad but Cruisers are the Shiznit. Also I want to know why everyone gives the Humvee such a bad rap. They may have independent suspension all around but it isn't the wussy kind that the car manufacturers make. My dad was in the army and he says he has taken them to hell back and he has never seen any of their IfS or IRS parts break. The army says they are supposed to live 12 years no matter what you do to it. Can you name any car company that would say something like that about their vehicles?

· Registered
947 Posts

humvee's arent bad rigs. But you can get a better rig for less money...way less money... Or for the same money you can buy a Mercedes G-wagen 4door and for about 40-50,000 dollars less then a new humvee you can buy a grey market Toyota Megacruiser...normally between 65-85,000. And I know for a fact that a Megacruiser "will" out perform a Humvee. That might hurt a few feelings but like they say...oh well.... I know hummer was trying to sue Toyota to keep the Megacruiser out of the USA.... gee...little worried are they? As for jeeps....they are ok for what they are...like I said my brother owns a couple jeeps....and I have many friends that also own jeeps....but when you compare then side by side in factory trim... the Land Cruiser "Will" "Always" come out ahead. And jeeps always have to fix their rigs up to the level of a stock Land Cruiser.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #13 ·

The chromed up Humvees are real expensive, but not the military ones. You can score a military humvee for 20 grand. And Hummer is a division of GM through a marketing agreement between them and AM General. The people that run that part of GM are scum bags. They bought out the Bummer Conversion kit to eliminate compatition so them trying to sue Yota doesn't surprise me. The Humvee is not worth the money, but the HMMWV is. Do you have any pics of that Mega Cruiser. I have never heard of it. And also, how do you know it can out perform the HMMWV? Has anyone ever pitted them against each other?

Note:If anyone is confused, HMMWV is the actual name of Humvee. Humvee is just army slang.

· Registered
947 Posts

hehe...for that price you can get a restored Unimog Crewcab...YES! And it most likely will have the highway friendly transmission. If it doesnt come with it you can install the MB PTO and winch setup..i think that was good for 20tons? Can someone correct me on this so we know the actual specs on the stock unimog pto/winch.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #15 ·

I just took a look at the Mega Cruiser and I have to say that Toyota sunk real low. It almost copies the Hummmer except for the grill. Also I don't like that 4 wheel steering and all that electrical crap. Keep it simple. Say what you want about that Mega Cruiser, it didn't look like it had any beef on those independent suspension arms. It may be a good 4x4 but I don't think it competes to the Humvee.

· Registered
947 Posts

ok...we can agree to have our own opinion on both rigs...but i still stand next to the megacruiser...also it was used in the military before being converted to civilian use. as for being a copycat....all car manufactures take from one another...and the japanese are known for this in their vehicle appearances....the lexus and acura were made to compete with the european cars....and that is one reason they look very similar to the bmw, mercedes, audi, and volkswagens. as for the capabilities of the megacruiser....it is extremely capable and is not less then a humvee. it stands true to the land cruiser even with some of the goodies. i would still trust the lives of my family in a megacruiser over a hummmer...for a heck of a lot less money. the land cruiser was not invented to compete with jeeps.....or humvee....they were ordered by the United States government for the United States military and both are used by militaries around the world. no one is really original in their designs.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #17 ·

After doing a little studying and watching a couple of clips of the Mega Cruise in action, I am convinced it isn't nearly as tough as the Humvee. And you can't tell me that Toyota didn't copy that design. I'm sorry guy, but the only thing I think the Mega has over the Humvee is that it can handle better. If you take a more detailed look at both of them, you might see what I'm talking about.

· Registered
947 Posts

ive been around humvee's...spent 14 years in the military...true i havent been around a megacruiser yet....but they can handle anything you throw at them.

But this is a Unimog forum...and I would rather own a Crewcab Mog over either rigs...my wife on the otherhand wants a megacruiser. And I didnt say the design wasnt copied....read my post again.....also i dont know all the details about the design of the megacruiser.....it might have been designed that way under a US government contract just like the first land cruisers were. there are a few megacruiser in the united states.... i am sure we can find out how well they handle compared to a humvee.

· Registered
1,078 Posts

Low gear - can you legally street register the militray HUMVEEs in the US? I know a couple of guys who've tried that up here in canucklehead land, and they CANT street register..the military spec humvees dont have spec lightling, side impact protection,a dna bunch of other stuff required by teh Canadian (federal) transport board!!

( I thought I'd heardit was the same int eh US, and that they cut the frames in 1/2 when they auctioned them of to prevent them being usd on-road??) Not 'dissing' you - just tryind to clarify what I thought I'd heard.

chris

G

·
Discussion Starter · #20 ·

Well I wouldn't be driving it on the road but I think you can. I think since the military can, I think you can register them.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.