Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4,235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im thinking about takeing a couple road tripps this summer, the longest trip is 1800 and the shorter one is 1200. Should i be worried about driving my truck that many miles, considering its already got 215k on the stock motor.
If I go Ill through a used set of 265s or 245s on it so I dont wear out my TXRS, both trips will take around 20-24 hours and Id try to make as few stops as possible, do it in 1.5 days and drive mostly night since I dont have AC.
so do you guys think it will be fine, think so, well I hope so

thanks for any coments
Evan

IF ITS GOT WHEELS OR A SKIRT YOU CANT AFFORD IT

G

·
well, all vehicle lik prolonged highway miles over any other type of driving, thats for sure. Just inspect the basics (fluids, belts, battery, filters, etc...), maybe do an oil change just for ****s n giggles, and be sure to keep tools, fluids, a chiltons, maybe some critical parts (belts, hoses, tranys, whatever) in the back, and a cell phone handy!

All you really need to do is keepo an eye on temp and gas milleage. If those look funny, its a good heads up something might be notsogood.

My philosophy is that breaking down is, sorta, part of the hole fun of a roadtrip! g'luck though!

-Ut

G

·
ROADTRIP!!!! dude, go for it - they are always fun! haha. but really, just bring up the post RJ started and see all the things you should bring along. i was gonna take mine on a trip to maryland and back to tow my buddies 78 vette back but ended up taking his fiances dads f350 diesel. as long as the truck is in good shape, i wouldnt worry too much about it. highway miles are much easier on the truck than traffic for sure.

EDIT -- BTW, where the hell is RJ with those tires??? and we havent heard from shawn lately....hmmmm.....maybe RJ went psycho when he saw the blazer, locked up the whole family in the cellar, took the blazer and is touring the country winning off road contests?!?! haha /wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif

Mike ~
* Earnhardt Forever *

89 Chevy K1500 - 350TBI/700R4/NP241 - 3" lift - 33's - other goodies, but not enough! /wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif

G

·
mphZ71
that is funny!

i say go for the road trip. one of my buddies and i are going to take a road trip to the mountains soon.

·
Registered
4,235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thankx guys,
I was just kinda worried about putting so many miles on it in such a short time, since its already to 215k. trucks always got all kind of tools in it plus enough oil to change it twice,but I do need to get some belts and a few other odds and ends, I do 300-500 mile trips dureing hunting season all the time, but 1800 is quite abit more, so I just wanted to see what you guys thought.

thanks
Evan

IF ITS GOT WHEELS OR A SKIRT YOU CANT AFFORD IT

G

·
Well my POS made it to TN and back plus wheeling pretty hard up there. Drove up on used 40's. Had to duct tape down some body panels but other than that It went ok.

"Bubba Tub" 1977 K-10 350,Th350,Np203 D60/14ff 4.56's Detroit Rear. 7" lift, 39.5/16.5 Swamper TSL's.

·
Registered
1,284 Posts
Go for it man! Road trips are fun!! Heck I'm taking possably two long road trips later this year, Road trip number one too TheDieselPage's big yearly get together in Ohio, Which will be 2500 miles each way, And road trip number two down too Tuson Arizona too go to a Boomerang tourament, That one will be 1800 miles each way, And while both should be fun I'll be with out the forum for 2 weeks each time/wwwthreads_images/icons/frown.gif Wonder if ya'll forget me?/wwwthreads_images/icons/laugh.gif

/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gifYodas Day Off/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif

G

·
Hahahahahah, Bwhahahahahah, GWAHAHAHAHAHAH !

Nah, I'm pickinng them up July 7th, 5 days away. I've been working hard for the money, I got big blisters on my hands and I got sunstroke a couple of days ago, Fun fun fun.

Enter Ground Zero - http://rj.coloradok5.com

·
Registered
1,284 Posts
Nahh RJ's lieing I saw him just the other day running around mad with Shawns blazer. (He was rolling around nekid in the engine bay/wwwthreads_images/icons/shocked.gif)

/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gifYodas Day Off/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif

G

·
Re: think I should take my truck on a loong road t

Not to put a damper on the road trip. I have made several 1200 mile plus trips in my truck (285k miles on the drive train, new motor) and one 2400 mile trip. (Talk about a gas expense!) There should be no drivetrain problems, these hardly EVER happen on the highway.

But on the OTHER HAND, the reason I have a new motor is a roadtrip. I was cruising down the road and threw a rod through the side of the block. You can't hear a damn thing in my truck (windows down,(noAC) tires and motor) and it started rod knocking, I finally heard it, took my foot off the gas and BOOM!!! There she blows.

If you can find someone to do, it have your oil anaylized before you leave. That will tell you if there is any secondary bearing material being worn off in the oil.

Watching the gas mileage will tell you about wheel bearings, u joints, ignition and fuel induction. Which should all be checked or lubed before you leave.

Have Fun!
Shane Bevel

The Roanoke (VA) Times Photo Department
1986 3/4 ton 4x4 'Burban 5.7L Vortec Powered
2000 Specialized Rockhopper FSR

G

·
Kidd ,, One thing to check on would be your thermostat. Especially if it hadn't been changed in awhile. Thing happened to me. On my way to Salt lake in my Cutlass. The thermostat had some miles on it. My car started getting warm so I had to go easy on it. And I was just getting over the mountains when it went. Lucky it was getting dark "cooler outside temp" and was a short rest of the trip,had put my heater on high mode to help with heat dissapation in the middle of June. I have manual gauges and the needle kept bobbing around between 210 up to 220 at times. The next morning I pulled the stat and it was stuck open. Make sure you constantly check your gauges. Seen many smallblocks "go"
that way.

G

·
yea, its amazing how fast those guages can fly into the red zone. a few months ago, when my tensioner froze and busted my belt, i heard the pop, started slowing down and by the time i stopped about 75 yards later, my temp guage had totally buried itself and the check guages light came on. so if youre water pump or something were to go out or something and you werent paying attention, youre engine would over heat VERY quickly, possibly cracking a head or something... /wwwthreads_images/icons/mad.gif

Mike ~
* Earnhardt Forever *

89 Chevy K1500 - 350TBI/700R4/NP241 - 3" lift - 33's - other goodies, but not enough! /wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif

1 - 12 of 12 Posts