Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've heard some talk about drilling a hole in the thermostat. Why, and how does it help.

·
Registered
6,394 Posts
/wwwthreads_images/icons/laugh.gif As they say in Washington: "Senator....I'm glad you asked me that!" /wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif The reason for the hole is to let the air blow by the thermostat as you fill the engine the first time, AND also to let a tiny bit of water squirt by and make sure that an air pocket isn't forming under the thermmy which will NOT open it on temperature rise./wwwthreads_images/icons/frown.gif..it needs liquid to touch the bulb./wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif In some engines LIKE A SMALL BLOCK CHEVY...the engineers were asleep and no provision was made for getting the air out. I KNOW...I KNOW...the thermostat has a tiny dent in the seat for that purpose, but it soon plugs up. The temp sometimes will rise WAY up, then drop like a rock in the SB Chevys when the thermostat FINALLY opens. I got tired of that in my 350 GMC and drilled a lead-pencil sized hole in the thermostat plate....the wide-open flat area./wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif After that it was like being behind a REAL engine,/wwwthreads_images/icons/laugh.gif like a Mopar. Heh heh. Drill your thermmy./wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif...you'll be doing your engine a favor./wwwthreads_images/icons/laugh.gif

CJDave

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
some performance stats have the hole drilled in them for you (try mr gasket). Dave hit it right on the head with the need for a bleed. a lot of import stats use a small hole with a small valve to do the same thing.

dan

I do not intend to offend,I offend with my intent

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.