Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm trying to figure out exactly which model my Commando is and I'm confused. It apparently originally was a hard top during its service life with the Durango Colorado Forest Rangers, but it no long has one. I was reading in my Commando repair manual and it says all the serial numbers. The number on my vehicle is 8705F37. In the manual it says there's only an 8705F15-17, and it's a station wagon. Does anyone know how to distinguish what it is?

Nick
Arizona
71 Commando

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
somewhere that has been posted before, but I believe all that you need is the 8705, which makes it a wagon.

·
Registered
1,496 Posts
I've found 1 or 2 others that have listed a VIN with a 3 in it. I never emailed them to confirm what they had listed, I just thought it was a typo on their part......it might not be.

If the built tag between the driver's door hinges has a 3 also and the title has the 3....it might not be a typo.
If I run into any others that list a 3 in the VIN, I'll email them to confirm it. It would be interesting to find out about this "3".

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Just a side note,I also have a "3" in my 1971 jeepster commando.Vin.#8705 F37 69235.I believe mine is a Hurst Edition.The production date is June 1970.My jeepster is on page 5 of readers rigs.It's turquoise.ComndoBob

·
Registered
747 Posts
There are a few -F3's around but there are no records anywhere that I could find to explain the code. The F3's I know of were originally sold to government agencies as you say yours was so it could have been Kaiser's way of tracking govt. contracts

BTW, the Hurst editions were 8703's

·
Registered
257 Posts
According to Jim Allen's book, Illustrated buyers guide-JEEP; the 6th digit in the VIN of the jeepsters (you know the ones without the really boss grill) indicates 1: left hand drive, 2: right hand drive, 3: Left hand drive-California.

Scott

·
Registered
507 Posts
No, that would be North Carolina, Nascar country. to quote some of the people around here. Aaron

California had just started a 'new" emissions program when our Jeepsters were released and might have been tracked for record keeping? Aaron

·
Registered
507 Posts
Between the Jeepster and now the matching trailer I think the wife would break out the fire arms and shoot me if I got another..... Aaron

·
Registered
4,334 Posts
I got a wierd one, my wife wants my newest Jeepster. I had told her I was getting one she could drive and now she says it's hers. My daughter is also fighting for it.

·
Registered
1,867 Posts
My wife thinks your flying to Canada and driving back a sweet convertible for your wife to drive was very romantic. And I was this close to talking her into a $200.00 local beater. Thanks for raising the bar, dude.

Sean

·
Registered
1 Posts
I'm trying to figure out exactly which model my Commando is and I'm confused. It apparently originally was a hard top during its service life with the Durango Colorado Forest Rangers, but it no long has one. I was reading in my Commando repair manual and it says all the serial numbers. The number on my vehicle is 8705F37. In the manual it says there's only an 8705F15-17, and it's a station wagon. Does anyone know how to distinguish what it is?

Nick
Arizona
71 Commando
hey just traded for one last nite its numbers 8705 f16 its ahurst 3speed v6 dountless 4wd guy told me c 101 weelbase 104 weelbase is a wagon arnie ga 71 comcdo

1 - 16 of 16 Posts