Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We've talked about this quite a bit here, but I had a first hand opportunity to see it in motion this weekend. We had a family visiting from Austin, TX here in Farmington (our club entertains a LOT of out of towners) and they had a BIG bucks YJ, best of everything. Dynatrac 60 rear, Dynatrac 44 front,
ARBs, AA Atlas 4.3:1, Warn coils, 36" tsl Swampers, beadlocks, etc. BUT, that darn high dollar rig had trouble with most everything that was even the least bit vertical. Couldn't get any traction with the front, as soon as the front went up the back coils compressed and made the front light as a feather, and the back tires just wouldn't grab either, we tried various air pressures too. 20Gs worth of hardware couldn't make the YJ go where my CJ with 33s and Pro-Comp lift, locked with 4:1 could go. For all that money, the parts just didn't work in harmony, they are going back to TX to rethink a bunch of what they have invested

Brad
ORC Land Use Section Editor
http://www.off-road.com/land
Vice-Pres. Rock Garden 4 Wheelers, Farmington, NM
http://rockgarden.rockcrawler.com

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Proper set-up is everything, imho. I've seen lots of expensive jeeps that just don't have the balance and/or spring rates to do much real work, often they have such short links holding the axles in place that they try to push the front end off the ground.

Before I rebuilt mine with the coil-overs and all, it still had a good ft/rear bias and lots of wrap-free travel
, I'd get comments from people how much better mine seemed to go thru the rough stuff, I figured the weight placement had alot to do with it.

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
I am courious if they towed it to Farmington, or drove it there? With all of that money spent, is it still street-able? I know that it is very easy to go over-board on adding accesseries to your rig, but how about some of the trade offs? Where I live, it is not uncommon for me to drive over 200 miles in the course of a hard day wheelin. But where do you stop?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I often wonder if my rig could do any of the slick rock up there because it's built for the terrain down here.It works great in the boulder strewn streams and mud.I sure hope to get up there this fall and try it out...

It's as close to a 1ton as it can get and still be a jeep!!! Gotta love it!!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I often wonder if my rig could do any of the slick rock up there because it's built for the terrain down here.It works great in the boulder strewn streams and mud.I sure hope to get up there this fall and try it out...Most of the slick rock guys praise the d44...Down here, you just cant get one to hold up long enough to get up some of the ledges with any kind of traction. They work great if you can go slow enough, but most of the terrain I encounter I have to get a run at!! Did he say it worked great where he lived?

It's as close to a 1ton as it can get and still be a jeep!!! Gotta love it!!

·
Registered
2,137 Posts
It sounds like they built to suit a high ramp score (bragging rights?) and/or a lot of articulation on a very bumpy terrain which probably works fine there.
But when you come around here ... that don't mean squat! (pun intended)/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif

JAF
http://www.monsterslayer.com/jeep

1 - 7 of 7 Posts