Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 1988 YJ with the 2.5L 4 cyl. It's got 123K miles on it, TBI, 5 speed. pretty much stock.
My problem is that 5 out of 7 days a week the Jeep has no power. I know 4 bangers have no sack, but this is worse than the normal. When I try to accelerate it sometimes it sounds like it's bogging down and sort of stutters or bucks a little. If I downshift the engines whines like mad like it's way to low a gear for the speed I'm at. It not that I'm not driving it right.... This is just hard to explain. When it does this I can smell that rotten egg smell that comes from some car's catalytic converters. At 117K miles I did a tune-up off plugs, wires, rotor, cap, fuel and air filter, PVC valve, and oil change. I added the "engine restore" in the silver can and am running 93 octane gas. I also had to replace the catalytic converter. I noticed one night after letting it idle in the driveway for 10 minutes the cat was cherry red.

This is becoming major nuisance, and I need to fix this ASAP. I have the Haynes manual, but I can't find anything I haven't already tried. (except for the ERG valve... I can't seem to find a part store that can order one).

Please help me! I just bought this Jeep about 2 months ago and I'm getting bummed....

I know... I'm just getting started.

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
your catalytic converter sounds bad again, it's a catch 22, an ill running engine will ruin a cat. and a filled up cat. can create engine problems, i know it ain't legal BUT i would take it off and see how it runs, change the 02 sensor, (always a good guess, and i don't think you changed yours) see how it runs and if still no joy have someone with a computor diagnostic machine troubleshoot/fix your eng. problems and them put a new catalytic converter back on later, good luck, part of jeepin' is fixin'

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
But I hear that the 4 banger runs even worse without the cat? It needs the extra back pressure or something like that.

I didn't replace the O2 sensor (big dumby on my part). My future brother in law works at a parts place so I got the cat dirt cheap... I supposed if I have to I can hit him up for another one.

HHmmmm I thought I got rid of the money pit Dodge.... now I have a new money pit? That's ok though. Customizing a Jeep looks like fun! Just hope I get to have a nice ride once in a while too :(

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ya, thats a cat problem.And don't forget, when you replace the oxogen sensor don't let anything touch the sesor end of it.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Is there any way to test the O2 sensor before I take it out? I ran out real quick with a flash light and checked the wires... everything looks ok there, I also check that reminder box that goes off every 82,500 miles. It's loose on the fire wall, maybe it needs a good ground?

Also, after an oil change last night with Quaker state and a quart of Slick 50 and a slick 50 gas treatment the Jeep ran great today??????

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
It's only a few bucks and it is the one thing that will clog a converter faster than anything. And a cloged converter will ruin it. It and the converter need to be replaced together as far as i'm concerned.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Wish someone told me that when I picked up the new converter 3,000 miles ago...

Am I going to have to buy another one?

·
Registered
484 Posts
Not to be obvious, but my suggestion is toget both parts, install the o2 sensor(if you don't have the special socket-get one(about$20)as the sensor is very delicate), and see how she runs. Although you probably did clog the cat back up(if o2 sensor was indeed the culprit), you might get lucky and not need to replace said cat.
happy jeepin,
jimbo

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.