Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
326 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i got a 95 z-71, with the front diff. leaking out of the left side. how do i go about changing the seal. its were the cv joint goes into the diff. housing. any ideas

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
I'm gonna ask you to not hold me to this, because I have never done it. My truck has a wet spot there (but no drip) and I was told that you have to drop the diff to split it so you can pull the axle shaft, and put a seal in it (similar to a semi floating axle). If you have to do all of that I think all new seals and gaskets should be installed while youre in there.

I'm sort-of curious about this too, anybody else have a better answer (or maybe a correct one)??

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>4x4
|\*\..../*/|
|.\*\../*/.|
|..\*\/*/..|
|../*/\*\..|
|./*/..\*\.|
|/*/....\*\|
-----------

G

·
Simple fix: Remove the half-shaft by un-bolting it from the axle flange (6 bolts). If necessary completely remove the half shaft by removing the axle nut in the center of the wheel hub. Now for the seal: Remove the axle shaft by prying it out of the diff housing. The seal is a standard oil seal from there. Be sure to check the small retainer ring on the axle stub and replace if necessary.

G

·
Mine is a 94 and it leaks on the drivers side, I believe the same one. I have replaced some half axles on front drive cars, does it just pop out like those? I usually use a crow bar to pry it out. And whats an axle flange, as far as I know there is nothing between the dif and a hub on that side, there is a piepe that runs over to the right or passanger side, is that it? But then that wouldn't really help, would it?

Will work for mods
Current mods--> 31x10.5x15 ProComp MT, 15x8 AR767 rims, K&N, MSD Ignition Coil.

·
Registered
6,137 Posts
the axle flange is where the CV joint meets the axle shaft from the diff....looks like 2 round ~ 1/2" thick discs held together with 6 bolts.

you can use a pry bar to remove the shaft from the diff.

Shorts <-- It's not what you think /wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif ...and don't ask what it is

'94 Chevy K1500, with stuff...needs more stuff

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.