Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
That\'s it! I wanna TJ!

A friend of mine just bought a used '97 4 banger TJ for $7,000 because it had 2 minor dents and a coupla scratches! Anyway, he slapped some 31" ATs on it and that thing will go just about anywhere. It truly amazes me. I need to sell my rockcrawler (highly modified CJ-7) and am thinking about going ahead and selling my '88 Toyota and going to find me TJ (4.0 of course).

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Re: That\'s it! I wanna TJ!

Yeah, tell me about it! The lucky SOB bought it off some guy at an electronics store that couldn't afford the payments and was selling it for what he owed on it. The guy couldn't have had much gray matter between his ears, if ya know what I mean!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

If a TJ with 31" tires has you wanting to sell your "highly modifed CJ7" then something is wrong with the way your Jeep is built.

I have a loaded 2000 TJ that is pretty modified and an 85 CJ7. I would choose my CJ anyday.

LarryM
'85 CJ7, 350TBI, T19
'00 TJ, 4.0, NV3550, D44

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

I have a highly modified TJ and I have to say that it is at least as good as my highly modified CJ-7 in all areas and better than it in a few. Overall I would have to give the nod to my TJ. The TJ is a remarkably capable vehicle right out of the box. I watched a guy in a very stock TJ tackle virtually everthing at Moab last week without much trouble at all. He kinda ticked off a few guys 'cause this was his first Jeep and he was a fairly inexperienced driver. They talked him in to coming and he really surprised them with how well he did.

If you go for a TJ try to find a sport with the 44 rear under it. Don't waste your money on the bells and whistles that come with the Sahara. If you want to make a bad ass rock crawler out of it , plan to spend about $4000 on suspension and tires. $1500 on gears and lockers. Drop those figures by 1500 and 400 if you do it your self.
Good luck!

Axlesupagain/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif
http://home1.gte.net/lrgreen2/index.htm

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

Oh, sorry, I didn't make myself clear. My CJ has a 330hp 350, Scout D44s (Detroit rear, Lockright front), SOA with 2" lift springs, 35" BFG MTs, and ramps a 1230 on a 20 degree ramp. I love it, but I need to sell it anyway since I'm going to college. I just want another Jeep and I just don't like YJs. The TJ has everything I need, good power, nice ride, and capable offroad.

·
Registered
4,438 Posts

The TJ is a great ride no doubt, but it still needs all of the axle, steering, transfer case, tranny, and locker/gearing upgrades that eveyone else needs when when building for ultimate performance. The only difference is the cost associated with the upgrades due to the extra work required to addapt new axles to the coil suspension. If you have all of your other components in place, and now you are just worried about the excelent suspension offered in a TJ package, your build up is lot closer to completion than starting from scratch with a new TJ. If you are going to spend that much money on a TJ, then about $2K for a good suspension(stock TJs dont ramp 1000 on a 20 deg ramp) and still be left with the slip yoke on the NP231 and addequate axles at best. All you have to do is flop down the $4000 or so on the Warn Black Diamond XCL(X-trem Coil Link) suspension, you will have a suspension superior to the best aftermarket upgrades available to the TJ and still retain all of the benfits of your modified YJ or CJ, dont kid yourself modifying is modifying and those TJ's are not cheap to build up. I would love to take one off the showroom floor, damn the warranty and start cutting it up for the trail,(and Ive honestly thought about doing it, as soon as I quit traveling so much for work), but the 1st thing that would have to go would be the plastic TJ dash, hell I cant even stand all the plastic on my YJ dash, the good old look of a CJ dash would have to be one of the 1st swaps.
The Warn XCL is the great equalizer for leaf sprung Jeeps for less than about a 5th the cost, when all things are considered.

Jeff
89 Wrangler
If at first you dont succeed, your replacement will try and try again.

·
Registered
4,757 Posts

why sell the other jeep? just pull the plates and put a trailer under it.... i too have been bitten y the tj bug, but not so bad I'll sell my cj thingy..

~~Elusive~~
it's sort of still a cj thingy....see it at www.jeepgod.net

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

east_beast,
Stick with that CJ dude, it sounds like a real nice ride...like what I'm shooting for if I find the time and money!
When are you looking to sell?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

Ok, here's the deal: I can't keep my CJ for a daily driver due to gas mileage and it just isn't feasible to keep two vehicles when I can only take one to college. The college I'm going to is about six hours from home, so it isn't like I can drive back every weekend to wheel. Second, my Toy has 158,000 miles on it, and though it runs perfect and it is a Toyota, it's getting enough miles where major mechanical work is in the near future (definitely in the next 4 years) and I won't have the $$$ for that while in college. I'm not looking for another ultimate off-road vehicle like my CJ out of a TJ. I just want one to have another Jeep and it satisfies my reliability, comfort, and off-road needs. As $$$ come along, I will modify it. Adding a rear locker first, then a 4" lift and 33s. That would probably be it until and get out of college, then...

G

·
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

I'm looking to sell it ASAP. First $6500 takes it. But first I have to get a new rear driveshaft, the worn CV joint finally grenaded.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

I'm sorry, but I've got to disagree with the XCL comparison. Just the parts on the XCL are $3400. By the time you are done you've got about $5000 in it. Now that it is there, try to work on the T-case. Oops! Now you have to remove all of the suspension except for the springs. It is a great suspension, don't get me wrong, but it has its problems too. The t-case thing is just one of them. The rear coil/shock mounts are so low and long that they tend to hit everything. I drive my TJ nearly 3000 highway miles per month andd then I drive to all of the off-road events in CA and this rig will run with the best of them. I couldn't afford to have all of my toys any more so I decided to build a daily driver that can handle all of the nasty stuff I can drive it over/through. I still say that the stock TJ is the best Jeep right out of the box. Yes, everybody can modify there MB/CJ/YJ/TJ so much that it is the superior rock buggy. All I am saying is that the Stock TJ will out ramp any other stock Jeep before it. Add the road manners and comfort enhancements and you have got a pretty darn good buy.
FYI My TJ has 5.25" Rubicon Express suspension w/some custom mods to linkages and such, 1" body, D44/30 w/4.56 and detroits, SYE and CV driveshafts,BFG 35x12.50x15 MT's, Mile Marker 10,500lb winch, York air, borla header, Jet stage 2 computer, Turbo City intake/throttle body w/K&N filter, the list goes on and on and it ramped 1050 on a 24 degree ramp. I can't wait to see what it ramps after my latest refinements. All of these goodies and I can still drive it throughout my territory (CA,UT,NV,AZ,NM) I am not trying to be a dickhead and I know there are a lot of rigs out there that can outdo mine but for a daily driver this TJ rocks.

Axlesupagain/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif
http://home1.gte.net/lrgreen2/index.htm

·
Registered
4,438 Posts

Youve completely missed the point of my post.
If I were to buy a Jeep today with no intent on an extreme build up, i would also buy a TJ. It is hands down the best Jeep ever produced suspension wise out of the box. For that matter if I ws planning an extreme build up it may even be my starting point. I stated that if you already had in place all of the components you desired in a build up, that matching or exceeding the TJs capabilities was one more big check away. I wheel with too many Jeeps with XCL suspensions to have any misguided doubt in there performance abilities, or naive lack of their inheirant problems. They are equal to or superior to ANY suspension system out there, and clearance problems are addressed in custom applications. $4000 - $5000 "who cares" its still not $10K - $20k for a Jeep TJ that still needs all of the same axle,T case,steering,tranny, and yes even Suspension, upgrades as every other Jeep to preceed the TJ. My YJ would be hard pressed to be ambarrased by ANY TJ, and even without the XCL ramps over 1250 on a 22 deg ramp and 1000 on a 30 deg ramp, it still drives great on the road with 35" tires, and except for AC (which I wouldnt use for anything but a compressor since the top never is on in the summer), lacks no amenneties. So if youll follow my line of reasoning, the question is can a stock $15,000 TJ out perform a $2500 CJ? More than likely. Can it outperform a $10,000 CJ? Not neccesarily. Can it outperform a built CJ or YJ with an XCL suspension? Not a chance.

Jeff
89 Wrangler
If at first you dont succeed, your replacement will try and try again.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.