Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
my tranny is 'venting out' and has to be pulled. $450 for Removal, Check, and Install. Its gonna get rebuilt again for the second time in less than 2years. So this time ive learned my lesson and i'm saying "F" it and im going all out. Gonna talk to the builder tomorrow and see what kind of upgrades he can do.

Do any of you know of any upgrades i should mention. i can think of :

-corvette servos
-towing/RV torque converter
-transpak
-neck breaking shift kit
-deep pan
-aux. tranny temp. gauge
-lifetime warranty

any mods to the internals of a 700 that yall can come up with, i know theres tons more. please let me know.
money is not going to be an issue. itll probably end up costing $3K

everything's bigger in TEXAS!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I don't know much at all, but for less 3 grand you could by a JET or other performance 700R4 transmission with all those things allready on. There is another post somewhere that mentions JET. Sorry if that doesn't help.

Unit Seven Off Road - Tex's S10 VS RJ's K20 /wwwthreads_images/icons/laugh.gif
1978 K20 - 355ci, np208, 700R4, 7" Total Lift

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ok, 700r4...get 9-10 clutches between the 3-4 band. Also 1 extra in reverse for towing. A neck breaking shift kit gets real annoying driving it everyday. I nice kit with a positive shift is another story. I would go to billet servos, they flow more than the corvette servos. Also, upgrade the sprag, sun gear, and the pump. If you can, get kevlar clutch paks. If you get a build 700r4, you're looking at about 1200-1500.

Rhino

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
well, joe is right. for around $1800 you can get a JET tranny and you tell them the options you want (like how strong of a shift kit, etc...). ive heard nothing but good things about them and they last long and can handle some high horsepower. ive looked at them at their setup at the NHRA events before and they look good. this will be the route i go when i eventually need a rebuild.

EDIT -- i just searched for a website and couldnt find theirs but i have their catalog at home from the Gatornationals so if you want, i can post more info about them when i get back to school sunday night...

Mike ~
* Earnhardt Forever *

89 Chevy K1500 - 350TBI/700R4/NP241 - 3" lift - 33's

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thanks guys for the jet info. thats what i wanted to do the first time around. and now regret it. in fact before any of you posted i had already called 4WPW to get a price on the T700 with 200-300 rpm stall converter for towing and it was $1800 which is great except that it takes 2-3 weeks to arrive(bummer).

one last question cause i think im gonna take the JET route... should i go with lock up or non lockup converter. i cant seem to figure this out. i do travel highways often and travel the hills too. which way should i go if i want longer life. ive heard that nonlockups can burn up your tranny quicker but dont know how valid that statement really is. thank for your opinions.
Jack

everything's bigger in TEXAS!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
well, the non-lockups have more slip which generates more heat which is like cancer to trannies. i would go with a lockup converter but put it on a switch. i did this to my monte carlo ss because the converter would lockup too soon and lug in normal driving around town so i found out from my dads friend (a buick t-type and grand national fanatic) that you could actually jumper terminals on the plug and hook up a switch to do this. worked great! you could do the same with your truck. that way when youre on open road just flip the switch and the converter will lockup

Mike ~
* Earnhardt Forever *

89 Chevy K1500 - 350TBI/700R4/NP241 - 3" lift - 33's

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
its funny you mention that MPH because my dad has an 86 grand national(46K mi) and an 87 T-model(not a t-type but similar; 24K mi) and the 86 has the coverter ON/OFF switch. thats definitely something ill do. thanks again.

eveybody else is changing their signature so ill do the same. that "everything's bigger in TEXAS!" sig., i got that off a fard commercial. laugh at that. HAH.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts