Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3,917 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
1985 vintage 258 completely stock with some of the newest parts about ten years old, including the ignition.

Well the cap/rotor, wires, plugs were all toast anyway…… why not. Picked up coil, adapter/cap, rotor and wires for a 81 Ford 300cid and a new set of Champion 4412 plugs.

As you should have guessed by now I was looking to do the TFI but the parts guy showed me two different coils.

Coil #1 has a square (maybe rectangle) laminated metal frame with the actual coil mounted inside. Was for a 1983 or newer Ford.
Coil #2 is a round can type that looks like any other coil (but the parts guy clamed it was also TFI). Was for a 1981 Ford (same as the adapter/cap and rotor).

Being lazy and trusting the parts guy I bought Coil #2 because it was constructed just like the stock coil and would mount and connect without any modification. Not like it's all that hard to make a bracket and buy the correct pigtail to wire it in.

So I'm thinking that I got the wrong coil from the lack of significant change in performance. I'm going to pickup one of the other coils and wire pigtail tomorrow and try it but can anyone tell me if there is a can type TFI coil??

Thanks for your help.

Crazy Parts Guys

·
Official Historian
8,340 Posts
In reply to:

can anyone tell me if there is a can type TFI coil??

[/ QUOTE ]

Can't answer that question but everyone swaps in the e-core type coil. (The one you describe as #1)

·
Registered
946 Posts
I have seen drawings showing a Canister style TFI coil but I'm not sure it's the same thing.

I'll go over to some FORD sites and see what they say.

·
Registered
10,815 Posts
As usual, the parts guy is wrong!
The TFI - Thick Film Ignition ALL used the E cored coil. Square, not round.
The round types are for the Duraspark ignitions - both I and II. The Duraspark II would do the job, but they look just like the older round ones - hard to tell the difference. I'm not totally sure, but I think the Dura II instead of labeled (-) it said DEC - but I could be mistaken.

·
Registered
3,917 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Update !

Got the other coil (e-coil, square one) and rigged it up in a temporary fashion just to see if there was a difference.

Even my poor old worn out, completely stock, with all the emission and the original Carter (never been completely off the motor) gas squirter can tell the difference.

Yes it still gets retarded at 3000 RPM but oh boy it sure gets there fast. Since it's raining and there's still some sand from winter on the roads the poor thing was blowing the tires off in corners and when I least expected (lockers can get your attention).

I am very please with the difference for the $ invested since I would have had to spend nearly as much just to replace the stock parts.

It's a winner, too bad it didn't replace that worn out timing chain or plug up all the leaks but I guess that's asking a bit much huh.

Thanks very much for your comments.

In reply to:

coil should look like the one mounted on the bracket on the left side of this picture....

[/ QUOTE ]

Damn mine is just black.... where'd ya get that perty red one? Great sticker on your air filter too, might need one of those in the future (360 on a motor stand stuffed in the corner)

In reply to:

As usual, the parts guy is wrong!
The TFI - Thick Film Ignition ALL used the E cored coil. Square, not round.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'll give him a break because he did show me both so he was half right and I was try'n to be lazy.

In reply to:

use the square one, it's cheaper as well if i remember when I was asked the same question when I upgraded mine.

[/ QUOTE ]

You got that right!!!! The round one was $43 and the TFI was less than $17.

Hmmm wonder what that parts guy was thinking???

Don't matter, it's all good, it even sounds a bit different!

I will follow up with some PN# info and maybe some other lazy fool won't do what I did.

Thanks

·
Registered
241 Posts
$17??? crap...C$45 here...that's almost $60 american!! i've gotta start using medicare more often...might as well get my money's worth of something up here...

btw, mine was Wells PN 26286...

·
Registered
921 Posts
the perty red one is the MSD coil, a bit more than the stock TFI ecore TFI coil, but i figured if i was doing the MSD i may as well use their coil too.

as for the nice sticker, i found that on ebay for like $5, i figured with all the work i put into that damn engine swap i deserved to throw a little bling under the hood
still the same on the outside, if you don't count the two discrete pipes sticking out the back and the light rumble of the flowmasters

i'm diggin the new engine

-web

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.