Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
HEY I'M LOOKING TO REPLACE MY COIL ON MY 83 CJ7,ITS GOT A SWAPPED IN 360 AND COMPUTER BYPASSED,I ALSO WANT TO ELIMINATE THAT SILLY RESISTERED WIRE THATS USED FOR MY STOCK COIL,SHOULD I GO TO AN ACCEL 12V COIL OR A TFI COIL?IS THE TFI A 12V?WITHOUT RESISTANCE?AND HOW DOES A TFI WIRE IN?(I'VE NEVER EVEN SEEN ONE)AND WHAT YEAR AND APPLICATION TFI SHOULD I BUY?WILL IT HURT MY MODULE OR DISTRIBUTER?TIA

jsjps

·
Registered
6,394 Posts
/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif First....release the caps key. Next....go read the one-hundred kazillion posts about how to upgrade the AMC V8 with Ford/Duraspark ignition components. There must be at least thirty complete threads on how to do all that stuff, from part numbers to pictures. Yes, go with the TFI coil, by all means. Yes...it needs resistance or you will smoke the module. If nothing else, by using the TFI coil instead of the Accel, it will be easier to find when you are on the run from the Klintunoid Anti-Gun/SUV cops who are chasing down all of us to confiscate our Jeeps./wwwthreads_images/icons/frown.gif

CJDave
Quadra-Trac modified by the crack moonguy/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif transfer case team.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
CJDave
Can you clear something up for me ?
The application is; 258 I6, DS dist. with Ford cap and rotor, stock ignition module, Ford TFI coil.
Should I use a 12v. or a 9v. feed?
I have been using a 12v. feed, but since I'm building this for my daughter once I turm it over to her I don't want her having any problems. My main goal for this project is reliability more than performance.
Thanks up front
CTjeepnut

Funny thing is, the more I practice, the luckier I get

·
Registered
6,394 Posts
/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif The TFI coil will operate OK on the 1.35 Ohms of resistance that SOME Jeep have built in, so you would be OK if the wiring diagram shows the resistor wire to the stock coil. If you go 12V it will smoke the DS module. The TFI coil can operate fine up to about 5./wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif

CJDave
Quadra-Trac modified by the crack moonguy/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif transfer case team.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Re: TFI COIL?? (resistor?)

If you have been following this thread, you will note that there are two 'camps' on the issue of resistance in the TFI coil primary circuit. If you follow Aaron (TR), you will go with the resistance. If you follow PM, you will go with straight 12V, no resistance. Since this all came up, I have been measuring the resistance of a BUNCH of coils. For coil primary resistance, I am seeing around 1.1 to 1.4 ohm for Duraspark coils (stock, with the DS module), and I am seeing the 0.4 to 0.45 ohm, as Aaron reported, for the Ford TFI coil. I have seen a few reports, here, that people have tried to run the TFI coil with straight 12V, and no problems have been reported (that I am aware of). Take your pick on resistance/no resistance. I believe it's obvious that the conservative approach is to add a little resistance to the primary circuit, if using the TFI coil. By adding resistance, the DS module should be happy, and there should be no issue about letting the smoke out.

Accel coil... I have no idea if it does, or does not, need a resistor. If it were for me, I would be looking at its cold primary resistance, and its 'in-circuit' (hot) characteristics, and going from there on whether to use an added resistance, or not.

bobH

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
If a vehicle calls for the resistor, you want to keep it. It doesn't hurt the vehicle's performance and if you run 12V r to one designed for only 7V you will be overheating the coil and replacing it regularly. The auto makers have been toying with the 12V Vs lower voltage coils for years. There are advantages and disadvantages to both methods.

Nick Hagen
1995 Wrangler
33" Mud Tires and a Chevy TBI 350

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks guys. I just switched it back to the original wire, it still runs great. Better safe than sorry.
CTjeepnut

Funny thing is, the more I practice, the luckier I get

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.