Off Roading Forums banner

TFI COIL

916 views 7 replies 3 participants last post by  Junk Yard Genius 
#1 ·
Okay, I finally got to the parts store. Is the TFI coil a little coil looking thingy somehow wedged inside a square magnet-looking thingy? I thought I had saved a post that described it as a square box thingy but I can't find it.
TR you were right, the parts counter guys get real squirmy if you tell them the truth. I would like to get working on this but I'm not sure if they got me the right part for the coil. The description for 460 Ford F350 with EEC got both counter guys scratching their heads. This is for the 258 upgrade. TIA

Brit
85 CJ7

#2 ·
/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif Er....Brit...isn't that the 300 SIX CYLINDER stuff that you would be needing? Since you only GOT six cylinders? Just thought I'd ask. So you want the whole ignition system for an '84 Ferd, 300 CID six-banger? Or is this just the coil you were looking for? The coil is Borg Warner # E92, AC Delco # F503, Nieoff # FF-179, Standard # FD 479. That should help??/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif

CJDave
I never believe any statistics unless my moonguys /wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif made 'em up themselves.

G
#3 ·
the coil is off of the 460 with eec. you can also find this on newer engines as well. someone has posted some part numbers, so you may want to do a search.

dan
NECESSITY IS THE MOTHER OF INVENTION
/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gifLET IT SNOW/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif

#4 ·
Yeah, I have the 6-258, but the TFI coil is from the 460 on either upgrade. The part number I used at Carquest was for Standard FD 479 but that got me the
distributorless ignition part. The best we could come up with without a Ford guy there (or Aaron) was the FD 478 which is the square looking magnet looking
thing with a short coil looking thing in it and a post for the coil wire and a 2 lead terminal (pos) and (neg). This guy was real helpful and is interested in Jeeps so he wants to see how this turns out too.

Brit
85 CJ7

#5 ·
Both CJ Dave and Black Jack are correct.
If you ask for 84 ford anything with E.E.C., you will get the TFI coil.
You are correct about the TFI coil having a metal rack around a coil. It will also have a two wire connector sticking up, and what looks like a sparkplug top sticking up.

CJ Dave gave most of the manufacturers part numbers, they should be able to cross reference.

Everything else is from an 82 or 83 ford anything with a 300 CID six cylinder engine.
(82 or 83, which ever one had the screw down distributor cap base. You may have to get them to let you look at both to get the correct one...)

Standard P/N 478 is the TFI coil, not 479. There may be a misprint, not the first time thats happened...
The Standard P/N for the TFI coil connector is S-539.

Hope that answers your questions.... Aaron

If Chris Columbus "Discovered" America (with 25 million already here), Can I Go "Discover" Florida?

#7 ·
It may look strange, but it kicks A$$!!
DO NOT GET GROUNDED WHEN THAT COIL FIRES!! It will knock water down both legs!!

If Chris Columbus "Discovered" America (with 25 million already here), Can I Go "Discover" Florida?

#8 ·
*Brit* wrote,
*TR you were right, the parts counter guys get real squirmy if you tell them the truth.*

Counter guys are generally from the same intelligence pool as car wash towel guys and guys that say, "You want fries with that?" for a living.

If you spring an original thought on them, they are scared and confused (like a opossum in headlights).
They have never had an original thought, and it makes them very nervous just to be around someone that might have had one...
(They say, "Thinking is bad, make my head hurt...")

First it's non-comprehension, then it turns to disbelief, then to stubborn hostility when they realize your smarter than Forest Gump, (the guy they hope to be one day...)

They see you as a threat.
It's one of the basic survival instincts they can't muster enough I.Q. points to control...

You are a threat to everything they know to be true...
It isn't in the computer, and they can't read well enough to consult a interchange guide, so it just HAS to be a lie, it just can't be right...

You have to be a demon from hell sent there to test them, confuse them, trick them, eat their souls, (or their lunch, I can't tell the difference... they both look like bologna to me...) /wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif

BRIT! You nasty Jeeper you! What a Big, Bad Bully you are!!
Asking for things that make them think...
Stop Picking on those poor, defenseless little counter guys and let them get on with nose mining and poorly told AIDS jokes..../wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif

I go to the discount auto parts places just to play "Stump The Chumps".
I ask them for something simple and see if they can find it...
The Manager at the local Auto-Zone has been looking for a vacuum advance canister for a 79 Jeep CJ-7 distributor IN THE EMISSIONS SECTION for about two months now...
...He wins, the game so far, but the guy that thinks a TFI ignition coil is for the electric door locks is coming up on the outside fast...

DISCLAIMER:
The views expressed here are mine, and shared by several others.
I'm sure there are good parts men around, I just haven't met very many in the last 15 years.
Even the local NAPA has gone to hell. All new counter guys that don't know a zip tie from a lug nut...
If you are offended, sorry you resemble these remarks...

Later Folks, Aaron.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.