Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
650 Posts
Looks alot like what my Weldinator does! I'll post pics as soon as I get a chance. I can also do 1/4 plate no problem, however, I tend to burn through smaller stuff. If I turn down the RPM, I don't get a arc that is easy to maintain. I guess I need to get smaller rods. Im using 6011 and 6013, and have had better results with the 6013
Bob in Ma

·
Registered
650 Posts
I made my with a voltmeter, based on another write-up I found on the web-the one that uses the blue metal box...
I didn't see the logic in using a ammeter, as I understood how it works, it only shows current while the arc is struck, in which case you would need someone else to watch the gauge as you welded to find out the amps you are using.
I don't have a tach, so I set idle speed based on volts. I have been welding the 1/4 plate at about 60 volts, and am still trying to find the best combination of voltage and rod diameter for smaller stuff.
The reason you see a "slow-down" in engine RPM after the arc is struck is because thats when your really pulling amps and the weldinator is dragging down the engine.
My test bed for the weldinator was bolting the weldinator to a bench, and powering it with a big electric motor I had lying around. It worked well enough to validate the principle, but while welding, it bogged the motor down severly, and stalled it when the rod stuck.
Bob in Ma

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.