Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Tell me about these newfangled TJ\'s

Well I have got the bug. I was driving by one of the local Jeep dealerships today and my girlfriend wanted to look at the new Cherokees and Grands (she's thinking about trading her 91 limited in on a newer model). They happened to have a bunch of TJ's on the lot including two yellow sport models that really caught my eye. After going over one of them for about an hour I was hooked. I have decided that I really want one. I was kind of wondering about what people are paying for them (sticker was 20 and some change for the sport model with the 4 liter). I have a 96 Tacoma 4x4 as a daily driver but I always want to drive my old 75 CJ. Unfortunately it's trailworthiness has limited it's roadworthiness. It's not a trailer queen but I hate to put the wear and tear on the big tires and it's top speed is about 50 mph. Any advice or sugestions to a prospective buyer would be apreciated. I have a company vehicle to drive to work so I really don't mind the not so plushness of a opened top vehicle (I have only owned sports cars and 4x4s anyways so its' not like I am used to luxury anyhow.

GM[/SIZE]

G

·
Re: Tell me about these newfangled TJ\'s

The TJ is probably one of the best if not the best vehicle to hit the market that does lots of things reasonably well and some things very well. With few modifications it does off road very well and highway fairly well. It does not do family, vacation, go the the airport and pick up 4 people, carry plywood home from the lumber yard.
You already have a CJ and a highway veh, although the Tacoma is rather limited just like the TJ, but actually has the capability of doing something useful at the lumber yard.
This is my opinion, and others may differ. The TJ, and I have one, BTW, is a great all purpose vehicle if your "carrying capacity" purposes are rather limited and you don't want or can't afford another vehicle. If you have more than one vehicle, your money might be better spent for a single purpose off roader at a substantially lesser price and maybe even easier to work on and a dedicated highway machine, but for a single purpose vehicle where you want VERY good off road and REASONABLY good highway and don' t need to haul anything, the TJ is a good prospect.
Of course, if you want and can afford a TJ fully modified for the trail and an occasional evening run to the local mall, a new pick up for the occasional run to the lumber yard, a Lexus for the daily comute to the office and your Lear for longer distances, then by all means go for it. Get the TJ because it makes a very formidable off road machine after about 8 to 10 thousand dollars worth of mods, and a very, very good off roader by spending only couple of thousand or less.
Getting back to your post. I would look very strongly to spending more money on the CJ instead of buying a new TJ. You will wind up spending less and actually have more overall versatility. A real hwy veh AND a real off roader. If you just have to have a new vehicle, look to replacing the Tacoma instead of the CJ, but not with a duplicate of the CJ. Instead look for something that complements and adds to the CJ. A new pickup with a back seat, something like a Surburban (2WD), maybe a 2WD Cherokee or Grand Cherokee, something that can trailer the CJ and be a good hwy veh too.
My $.02.

Doug '97 TJ
http://http://www.hal-pc.org/~chartr

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

What would you suggest that I do to my CJ to make it more hwy driveable without sacrificing it's off-road ability. I also forgot to mention that I have a 76 Ford longbed truck to haul my Jeep to the trail (in case it breaks) and for hauling parts. If you are interested in seeing what it already has click the green GM below.

GM[/SIZE]

G

·

Why does your CJ only go 50 mph?! With that 360 you should be able to get it moving. My '80 CJ-7 with a 350 (built up to 330 hp) will run as fast as you have the balls to drive. I've had it going 95 and it had ALOT left in it.
P.S. It also has 35" tires and no over drive.

G

·

I have a 98 TJ, that I've built up as much as I care too in order to take it on the trail, drive to work, and still be able to afford to build up my CJ. I agree with the first post in most all respects. It's great off-road, the only problem is, do you really want to take a brand-spankin' new vehicle out to slam it into trees and submerge in mud? I know they look great, but I wouldn't spend 20 grand on a vehicle you're going to trash(I made that mistake already). And yes, 20 is a good price. In my area, a stripped SE goes for 18, so 20 for a sport is a really good price. So if you have money to burn, get the TJ, if not, spend it on the CJ, you'll be happier in the longrun, besides parts/accessories are MUCH cheaper for the CJ and have been tested for at least 15 years, where as some stuff with the TJ just isn't very good..
my .02
steve

G

·

Yeah sure the TJ don't ahve a metal dash ..so What. A stock TJ will walk all over at stcok YJ or CJ. Plus you get so creature comforts to boot.
IMHO the TJ is THE best thing to come from Chysler in years! Plus the adftermarket is HUGE.
Cheers
Wooders.

Cheers
Wooders

·
Registered
2,076 Posts

I spent the 25K for a new TJ...and Steve's right....do you want to trash a brand new 25k vehicle thrashing it around in the wild.....but...the problem I've found with buying a previously owned Jeep is that the former owner usually gets most of the life out of the internals and you're stuck with the replacement/repair of the most expensive components on the Jeep (x-case, diffs,etc). Why would anyone sell a Jeep? The rare find is an older CJ that has never been modified and is bought from the original owner. Usually you get one that is ready to fail on several major components and the current owner wants to "get while the getin' is good". This is fine for the young bucks w/bucks and the "mens -men" type (no offence) who take deep pride in their abilities to conquer and tame the wild...but if you're someone who wants to do challenging, but not EXTREME, off roading...and you don't have the time or desire to dedicate your life to bonding with your Jeep to a level of intimacy topped (most times-make that sometimes..but you still want a place to sleep :0) ) only by the relationship that one has with ones wife....then new is sometimes the only way to go.

G

·

You have a 76 ford to pull your offroading cj, and a tacoma to beat around town,a company car to get to work in. the old lady has a cheroky too. It sound to me like you have way too much money and need to send me some. you probably don't even have the time to drive what you currently have.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.