Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The way they were removing the track pin, and variations on the same theme are unfortunately common in this industry. The proper way to remove a track pin is to use a hydraulic press. The correct tool looks like a big hydraulic "C" clamp. The track is cranked together using a special clamp to remove the tension of the chain from the pin and the press pushes the pin out. Simple, easy, and no one gets hurt. The procedure you described is far more common than the correct method. The likelyhood of hurting someone doing it this way is probably around 50%. Whether it be smashed fingers, the guy with the hammer falling off the track, or ?. It's too bad, it doesn't have to be this way. I refuse to assist the mechanic if he is going to do it improperly, but being union gives me the power to say no without being fired. Many don't have that option, and most probably don't know there is a safer way. The ironic part is that the right way is not only safer, it's much faster and easier.

The excavation industry, be it mining or construction, is dangerous enough. Some risks cannot be avoided, but the ones than can be minimized should be. BTW, in the U.S. the excavation industry averages one man killed every day, a man injured every 15 minutes.

Again, I am sorry about your friend and best wishes for his family.

My other car is a BULLDOZER

·
Registered
6,870 Posts
I've seen them do it just the way you described...

(this is going to create a stink again...)

It was a union mine, and as a rule, union miners are not very bright. Mostly some local goofs that knew someone at the mine.
Same I.Q. as Jethrow Bodine making $50,000 a year, going out on strike, shooting at people, stealing as much as they can get away with, and wondering why people don't think much of them...

I've seen them walk under suspended loads of up to 200 tons... Just like it was a day at the park.
I've seen them swing the boom of a crane into high voltage lines just to see the sparks and shut the sub station down.
I've seen them use untested high voltage gloves in the grit and crud on half-million volt lines with out the leather shells.
I've seen them use ether to bead tires with.
I've seen them short batteries across the terminals to see if they were charged.
I've seen them drive around with caps, primers, and ad class 'A' explosives all mixed together in the back of a pickup truck, and just joy riding.
I've seen them knock the valve off of oxygen bottles just to see them fly.
I've seen them weld on fuel tanks, gas and diesel.
I've seen them use welders to jump start equipment.

The list goes on endlessly....
----------------------------------------------

It was a tragic, but very preventable accident.
Two minutes with a power hack saw, or five minutes with a hand grinder and he would still be alive.
I have no sympathy for the stupid, but I do for their families...

It's also a tragedy that such a nice guy in a world of morons and crackheads had to die.

If Chris Columbus "Discovered" America (with 25 million already here), Can I Go "Discover" Florida?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Some of those track pins press to 75 ton or more, but not on newer dozers. Dozers like the D11n have an "alligator" style master link. All that needed to be done was remove four bolts after releiving the track tension. The track then falls apart and nobody gets hurt. I can't even imagine trying to beat out a D11n track pin. Call the Dealer and let him repair the track with the proper tools!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It's also a tragedy that such a nice guy in a world of morons and crackheads had to die.

Sorry to hear of the loss of your friend TR.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.