Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So now that I have a new exhaust (that fixed the backfire!) I can actually drive with the windows down... good things since its been about 95* every day in CO.

Problem with my back glass - I think I know the solution but I'd like some suggestions on repair methods.

Key switch in the tailgate will no longer move the glass up and down. I can put it up/down from the cab. This is the 2nd tailgate for the '83 put on by the previous owner. I was poking around on the left hand side of the tailgate and noticed that there the bundle of wires that goes from the body into the side of the tailgate was barely taped together with some old electrical tape. What should I notice than a break in one of the wires! I'm thinking that this is the problem. (duh)

Question is - what type of wire should I use to repair this? Is there a standard guage for auto components? Solder? Or a couple of those crimp style wire joiners?

Thanks, and see you out on the trail...

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
There's no "standard" per se. If possible I'd use solder and heat shrink. If you have to add wiring be sure to add something that is as large or larger than stock. Use your judgement as solder will not flex and it may crack/fail in that location. You might be better off to cut it behind the taillight and in the tailgate and run new piece from those two locations, thus you have fresh wiring where it flexes between the two. Clear as mud?

I wouldn't use crimp-on connectors in that location, they probably won't hold well or will fail from the constant bending/flexing as well. My .02

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I was having the same problem with mine before the window blew out going over a jump and after the motor stopped totally.
When I get a new window if I don't replace the tailgate I was thinking about using a power window switch as a Jimmy rig solution!

Attachments

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Shilo,
To get to the wire bundle in the tailgate I'm assuming that I take the back of the tailgate off? And to get access to the wire bundle in the fender? Pull the cardboard off the back left hand side?

Thanks...

At least this problem is nice and obvious, right

·
Registered
5,301 Posts
Before you go pulling wires & cutting stuff, check to see if the switch is still installed on the lock cylinder - there's only a hairpin clip keeping it on and if it vibrates off, the key won't operate the lever that pushes the switch. You can tell easily by pulling the t/g access panel, closing the driver's latch (to set the interlock switch) and reaching thru the t/g to push the little buttons on the big flat switch assy. that face to the passenger's side. If the motor engages, then your problem is mechanical.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts