Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Tail Lights - \'71 Commando

New to Jeeps. Purchased a '71 Commando a couple of months ago and I am trying to get everything working. Will be On and Off Road with it.

Found that the 1157 light bulb will not fit in the tail light socket properly. The base seems to be too long. This is the correct bulb according to the manual I have.

Does anyone else have this problem? Is there a fix?

I modified the socket by removing the spring, bottom insulator, and filing the connecting points in the socket and on the bulb down to get it in. It works, but it is pretty tight. I am concerned that it might break at the first big vibration through the frame when I hit that rock that's in my way.

Thanks,

·
Registered
2,013 Posts
Re: Tail Lights - \'71 Commando

Welcome to Jeepster maddness! The AJC/Chapters are holding two main events this summer. Go to the AJC's home page and scroll down and you will find them on the rightside of the page. You will learn a lot about Jeepsters by attending. Strange on the lite bulb. Please fill out your profile.

·
Registered
670 Posts
Re: Tail Lights - \'71 Commando

Yes, the 1157 is correct. If you've already worked on the socket, you must have removed the tail light buckets. If you've gone that far, it's easy just to replace the entire socket. If you haven't removed the buckets, you need to be careful not to twist off the bolts when you remove the nuts. Use a good penetrating oil like PB Blaster.

Last time I had mine apart I placed some reflective tape inside the buckets(find it in the house numbers area at the hardware store). It makes a real difference in the brightness of the tail and brake lights.

Chris in Texas

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.