Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 1996 Tahoe, 4d/4WD, with a 2" body lift and have not gotten a definative answer from anyone about the maximum size tire that will fit on my 16x9 rims (with 4.25" backspace)...The closest guess is a 285/75-16. I am looking at the Nitto Terra Grappler. I prefer not to make mods....but need an education from someones experience. Please help if you can. Thanks!

· Registered
6,465 Posts
Running the stock gears?

You should be able to fit the 285/75R16's no problem as they fit without a lift on the stock wheels.

With those aftermarket 16x9's you could probably run 305/70R16's but the extra width and over 1" less backspacing on them makes me wonder if you might put the tires into the front fenders on turns or hard compression.

I know for a fact you could fit up to a 36" tall tire but that wouldn't be a good idea and you couldn't fit them with those wheels.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes, stock gears (daily driver). recent new truck has caused me to "throw" mony at this tahoe in order to keep up with the extreme offroad conditions while hunting/playing in WV (2nd home). maybe a new set of wheels are in order? Thanks for the feedback...! I have really had a hard time finding info.

· Registered
6,465 Posts
No problem.

With careful selection of wheels and tires you can usually fit a bigger tire than most would think. I've seen 36x12.5R15 Swampers on a truck with a 3" bod lift but the guy was running the stock wheels and had to trim the bumper and lower fender edges just a bit. Still, most would tell you it couldn't be done.

However anything over 33" tall and you're really starting to loose out in the power department if you don't regear. You're also on borrowed time with your axles, especially the front.

· Registered
10 Posts
As far as the borrowed time on the front CV's how much time we talking? I just went with a 4 inch lift and Mud brute 35 x 12.5 x 16's . After reading thsi post i am really beginning to worry as apparently my rear end is having difficulty. Atm according to GM my rear end is posi-trac but i get a limited slip reaction( standard 1 tire spin 1 tire sits). Could this be a partial relation?

Also since this has to be fixed could you recommend a nice gear ratio and possible location to get them?

Thanks.

~web~

( 1997 Yukon 1500 SLE 4door 4x4(pushbutton) 350 Vortec )

If you need to know more PM me

· Registered
6,465 Posts
A good gear ratio for your truck's configuration would be 4.56:1. Deep enough to let you enjoy low range but not so deep you're screaming on the highway. 4.10:1 would work but you'd sacrifice offroading for highway rpm's.

You have the infamous G80 "Gov-Lock" "locker"...at least it's a locker according to GM. Under certain circumstances it will lock up tight. But under many circumstances it won't and given enough age and mileage it'll stop locking completely and then it will probably do what earned it the nickname "Grenade Lock".:censored:
It's a piece of :censored::censored::censored::censored: to the first degree. When you regear definitely throw a real locker in that rear axle.

Lifespan of your front axle? Well...it's a small thing with an aluminum housing prone to cracking and CV joints that are anything but the last word in strength. Play nice and drive it smart after you've regeared and it might survive for a while. There's lots of folks driving around in half ton GM's on 35's who have never had issues. Now go wheel hard with it and yeah, front and rear axles are suspect. GM wasn't thinking about offroad durability with these axles when they designed them and they sure as hell weren't thinking about anything like 35" tires.

Got any pics of your Yukon? I had a 92 Blazer K1500 years ago and wanted to get it on 35's but never got around to it. Was to busy fixing it and then finally gave up on it.

· Registered
10 Posts
Thanks for your quick responses. Ill have Pics soon of my 35's I took them off last september for gas mileage sake so my truck looks funny in the pictures in my Original thread. I hope to have them back on this week or next since my area has just recently been drenched in powerful storms. Ill grab some action pics and some stills for you^^

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.