Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
T4 with D300 to T18 swap ?\'s

Okay I did a search and couldn't find anything on my question. Parts Mike says that in the event of swapping a T18 in place of a T4 the bellhousing may still be used, it just has to be drilled and tapped, I was wondering if this is true, and if so has anyone done it? and I was also wondering if all I do is drill out my old mounting holes to a larger diameter and then tap the or if I have to drill entirely new holes and then tap them. I know that I can use a T150 bellhousing but they are over $200 and I dont know where to get a used one and I aslo dont know if that will make my clutch linkage different, does anyone know if I will have to change any clutch linkage parts in the event that I have to use a T150 bellhousing. Any knowledge or any ideas of where to find this knowledge will help at this point, I just really want to get my new tranny in, my jeep has been down for an entire month, but now I have the new tranny and clutch, I am just trying to figure out if I can avoid having to wait another week for a T150 bellhousing and possibly having to change my clutch linkage. Thanks to all.

·
Registered
757 Posts
Re: T4 with D300 to T18 swap ?\'s

I T-150, T-176 bell housing already has the correct holes. The T-4, T-5 Bell housing does not have the correct holes. I Have heard that The T-5 BH can not be drilled and Taped as the holes are too close. However, looking at the attached Pictures (barrowed from Ebay) It looks like it maybe posible. The holes circled in red in the upper picture are the ones used for Ford T-18, NP435, and T-150, T-176. The jeep T-18 uses three of these holes and one by the shift fork that may have to be drilled. Looking at the T-150 BH in the upper picture It also appears that there are holes for for the T5 but they may not be taped.

I would try to find a T150, T176 BH. $200 is way to much you should be able to get one used for $50 or less. They often appear on Ebay and in Forsale posts on jeep boards all over the net. You local juck yard likely has several. When you get one make sure to look at the threads. Often they are corroded and when cleaned out most of the tread is gone. Also check that they are of the same thread often the aluminum will gaul to the bolts and the PO will have drilled and taped to a bigger size. My T150 BH had 2, 1/2-13 holes and 2, 7/16-14 holes. I taped them all to 1/2-13 but one of them will need a helicoal. When you put it togeather (or any other time you put a steel bolt in aluminum) use nickle or molybdenum never seize on the treads. Do not use Copper never seize as it can promote Corrosion.

Attachments

·
Registered
686 Posts

Becuase both T-176's and T-4's were available during certain years, some of the bellhousings had bosses cast for both the modified Ford butterfly pattern (T-150 and T-176), and T4 / T5 pattern. These, as stated above, can be drilled to hit 3 of the 4 holes, and some did not. Look at your bellhousing and you should be able to see the bosses cast if it has them.

·
Registered
854 Posts

I did this swap many years ago. Bought all of the parts from Parts Mike. Went from a T-4 to the T-18. I was able to find a T176 bell housing in a junk yard. PM knows what he is talking about when it comes to this swap. You should be able to drill that extra hole quite easy. If you would like - later this week I can take a pic of my old bell housing. It would give an idea of where the holes need to be drilled. There was no difference between those housings except the mounting holes for the transmission. You are only adding another hole. I don;t recall changing any of the bolt holes.

·
Registered
773 Posts

Just redrilled my T4 bellhousing to the T18 pattern.

IIRC the bottom two holes were not drilled, but cast as a shallow blind hole. All I did for these was drill the hole through and tap.

The upper two holes were not marked, but inside the bellhousing there was and extra pad of metal cast in.
For those I bolted the bellhousing to the T18 with the new bottom holes and center punched the top ones through the T18 mounting bosses. Drilled them, tapped them, and finished.

Bolted it all up and no problems since.

The pic shows the new holes after they were drilled and tapped.

Attachments

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

THANKS EVERYONE, THIS ALL HAS HELPED A LOT. BMB, THANKS FOR THE PIC AND ALL OF THE INFORMATION, BUT WHAT I WAS WONDERING IS WHAT SIZE DO THE HOLES NEED TO BE DRILLED TO AND WHAT THREAD PITCH DO THEY NEED TO BE TAPPED FOR. ALSO, I WAS WONDERING IF DOING IT THIS WAY CAUSES THE TRANNY TO HANG OVER THE EDGE OF THE BELLHOUSING OR IF SOMETHING DOESN'T SIT THE WAY IT SHOULD? OH, I WAS WONDERING IF ANY OF THE CLUTCH LINKAGES HAD TO BE MOVED OR CHANGED, AND THE LAST QUESTION IS I KNOW THAT THE T18 HAS A 1 1/16" 10 SPLINE INPUT SHAFT AND MU CURRENT T4 HAS A 1 1/8" 10 SPLINE SHAFT SO I KNOW THAT I HAVE TO USE A DIFFERENT CLUTCH DISC, BUT I WAS NOT SURE IF I NEEDED TO USE A DIFFERENT THROW OUT BEARING, DOES ANYONE KNOW ABOUT THE THROW OUT BEARING?

·
Registered
773 Posts

Pretty sure it is 7/16" coarse. I believe I just used the same as what was in the T4.

You will need to replace the clutch and T-O bearing and get a new pilot bushing.

Clutch and T-O were from a 76-79 CJ7 (1-1/16" 10 spline).
Pilot was PM 1.818 from Parts Mike.

Linkage worked with no mods on mine.

I had a Novak adapter to the 300, so it kept the side to side and front to back alignment in the same positon as stock.

The T18 is kind of tall. I have a 1" body lift and the shift tower still sets up through the tranny cover a good bit.

BMB

·
Registered
1,806 Posts

I swapped in my T-18 using my old T-150 bellhousing, a Ford input and retainer, and the adapter pilot bushing from Novak. Clutch, presure plate and all linkages are factory jeep. Some adjustment was necesary, but the factory mechanical linkage works fine.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts