Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, yesterday I posted about a sr4.It's actually a t4,and itwas third gear that gave up the ghost.The clutch and all has recently been replaced and looked just fine by my standards.Why is it that 3rd goes out in these trannys? Is it driver error,or just plain ole junk parts? I've never drove one with it, so I dont know if its from trying to jam it in gear or what. thanks!!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Well, I guess it's not always 3rd gear, the t4 is a t5 without 5th, and I had 4th go out in my t5 a while back. The reason it went
out was that 4th is machined onto the input shaft closest to the forward bearing that rides in the external bearing retainer. Bearing
went away, parts got into the gears, took a chunk out of the gear that was part of the shaft. Shaft was a couple hundred bucks
alone.

Brad
ORC Land Use Section Editor
Get involved or lose it all, the choice is yours!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Fer whatever it's worth..... third is the first to go (taking 3rd and the cluster). The bearing on the input shaft is next to go (this takes out the input gear and cluster, if you do not catch it early). And, 5th, is usually next to go, taking out (sometimes) both gears and sometimes the housing. Most folks say it's because of weak parts. But,... there are pleanty of conservative drivers, with stock engines, that easily make it over 200K miles. I have one (female) customer that has 246K miles on an 85 cj, and she has never had 3rd fail. She once had the front (input) bearing give up, and it was caught early enough that she still has all of the original gears. She drives fast (my opinion), but she is obviously not very hard on the gears. She has had one clutch replacement, and one engine failure (water in the oil).

bobH

1 - 3 of 3 Posts