Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

This weekend I helped a guy move into a new house and he gave me a t-90 and what looks like a Dana 20 Tcase.

My questions are as follows:

I currently have a t-5 and dana 300. Whats better? the 3speed or 5speed? Is there any reason that I should consider using the 3speed or the tcase in my jeep? What are the pros & cons?

Thanks.

Worst case I will either keep them for a spare or for a trade. Thanks for your info.

1997 TJ w/ 33's & 1984 CJ7 V8/35's
http://members.aol.com/a4x4jeeper/

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
The T90 wouldn't be worth the trouble to swap even if it would work. None of the AMC motors had the T90 behind them, so some sort of adapter would be required. It is marginal in strength behind a V8.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Some folks believe that the Dana 20, with a Tera-low kit in it, is a very desirable T-case. In stock form, your Dana 300 has the better ratio, at 2.62. But, the Dana 20 is known to be the shortest possible INSTALLED length, when mated to the Ford 2x T-18 transmission (the adapter is only 1-inch long). So, a T-18 and a Dana 20 with a 4-to-1 kit in it is very desirable for short vehicles where driveshaft length is a concern.
Most folks today, would have no interest in the T-90, unless they were keeping a 'stocker' of the T-90-era, running, or they were into the restoration 'scene'. If you happened to pick up a T-90 with the 3.339-low-gear, it might have desirable parts for folks that have the 'normal' low gear. Also, see if the T-90 has the 'long' input shaft, around 9-inches. The long shaft fits wagons and trucks, and once-in-a-while someone might be looking for the 'long' parts for a old V8 conversion, or for a 225 V6 conversion. Personally, I wouldn't toss any of it, but then again... I'm a pack-rat. I've still got Jeeps that 'run' this stuff.

bobH

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.