Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was wondering if the T-5 that's found in newer Jeeps and the T-5's that are say in the 87 and newer Mustangs ( world class T-5's )are about the same transmissions? I've decided on my 302 swap into my 84 CJ7, but I doubt my 4-speed transmission designed for the factory 4-cyl will hold up to V8 power. Since I'm using a Ford 302, could I just use the world class 5-speed that I got with the car also? I noticed that Advanced Adapters sells the adapter for this trans to Dana 300. Could I pull this adapter from a Jeep 5-speed? Or would the adapter that's currently on the Borg warner 4 speed that hooks to the dana 300 bolt up to the Borg Warner 5-speed and then just maybe change the main shaft? Would it work? Or am I stuck spending $600 on the adapter from AA? Anyone have any suggestions? I want the 5-speed over any 4-speed for highway and road use. No rock climbing for me. Thanks

Chad

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I have heard that the AA adapter uses a modified stock Jeep extension housing and that the original extension won't fit as the centerline of the cluster gear is lower in the housing due to larger gears. The last couple of years for CJs supposingly have marginally stronger gears than the earlier ones. You may wish to run the stock trans for a while and save up for the AA adapter and swap the Ford trans in at a later date. A friends' daughters' husband has a EFI 5.0L in his CJ with the stock CJ T-5 and hasn't had any breakage yet. (knock on wood!)

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
t5 tranny is known to be a weak tranny i just blew mine up and i have a 6cyl
go with a new process tranny out cheny or so what does your jeep have in it now

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The T5 tranny is weak, but the World Class T5 is a strong transmission. Built for high horsepower engines or vehicles with large tires. And is a bolt in for the original T5's found in CJ's.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.