Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently blew up the 3rd and 4th synchronizer assyembly in my t-5 transmission.
I ordered a new one from quadratec. For one thing it came dissassembled. After putting it together what I believe to be the right way I had to tap it down onto the output shaft (the old one slides on and off easily). Then once on, it is impossible to lock it into 3rd gear. All of the other synchronizers move freely snapping into place and easily unlucking with only a fair amount of pressure required.
What should I be looking for?
I may take the shaft to Cottman transmissions tomorrow and see if they cant make any sense out of it.

·
Registered
11,504 Posts
Look for dirt and burrs.

What did you use for assembly lube?

Did the old parts slide apart easily?

Be sure that you're putting it together the right way. Have you read the repair procedure in a shop manual? Sometimes there are assembly orders or techniques that aren't obvious, but must be followed exactly.

Parts that should slide freely MUST slide freely to work properly. If you have to tap something together that should slide freely, don't tap it together.

·
Registered
3,917 Posts
Most all of the parts of a T-5 will slip apart/together with your fingers.

Like Jim said burrs or dings in the new parts?

Here's the AMC Component Service Manual:

Component Service Manual

Pretty big and not dial-up friendly but maybe it will help.

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/40BEER.gif
Dale

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for that manual, looks like that synchronizer is supposed to be pressed on, so Im ok there.
But the manual makes a point to keep the hub and sliding component aligned properly. But mine came disassembled so I dont know how to align it.
Is there a way to tell how they should fit together?
Is it really that important?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts