Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We're gettin' ready to put a t-19/D20 combo out of a 78 Scout into a bro-in-laws CJ5 (It appears to be a 6.?:1 1st gear judging by the number of rotations to turn the rear shaft one full turn in 2 hi). The tranny has the long output shaft and deep bellhousing, so we're swapping in a Ford t-18 short shaft and redrilling his t-15 bellhousing. The question then comes down to the clutch and pressure plate...what do we use?? I don't have the Ford t-18 input shaft here yet and don't know its spline count. Will the pressure plate from the CJ's t-15 work? What clutch do we order/use? 4WD Hardware shows the same 10 1/2" x 1 1/8" 10 spline clutch for the t-15 and t-18s, so is the t-15 pressure plate and a new t-15 clutch interchangeable with the t-19 with a ford t-18 input shaft??
Any info or guidance would be appreciated. /wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif
Thanks,
Shain

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Shain,
I'm going strictly on memory here, but that diameter and spline count sounds right. The only funny thing that I can think that you'll need is the Ford inner/AMC outer pilot bushing. If you have a CarQuest auto parts near you, I might have a part number at home to get that pilot bushing from them instead of the one from Advance Adapters.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Snowtow. Still dont have the t-18 input shaft in hand (bro-in-law ordered it and the pilot bushing from somewhere). Investigating this a little further it looks like there is a 10 spline 1 1/8" version and a 10 spline 1 1/16" version input. Todd's t-15 has a 1 1/8" input and matching pressure plate. SO, can I use that 1 1/8" pressure plate with this ford input shaft that I expect to be a 1 1/16" or am I gonna have to hunt down a different pressure plate?
Thanks,
Shain

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The pressure plate has to be the same size that the input shaft is. Using the 1 1/8 on the 1 1/16 shaft would eventually destroy the splines on the input shaft because of the play, plus lots of other ill side-affects.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Crap /wwwthreads_images/icons/frown.gif...hope the input he ordered is 1 1/8". Thanks for the help Snowtow.
Shain

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The input will DEFINATELY be a 1 and 1/16" spline. Use a clutch disk for a 76-79 CJ with T-150. - Chuck

Chuck Hadley

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I hope that Its just a typo that you are ordering a ford t-18 input shaft, the t-18 input will not fit a t-19. you need to order a ford t-19 input shaft, there are at least several variations available depending upon what front bearing is used and spline count etc. these include: t19-16a, and 1309-085-xxx. I would take the t19 input shaft and bearing, and the jeeps input shaft to your supplier so that they can get all the measurements required.
good luck, jjc

·
Registered
84 Posts
I called Border Parts and asked them if I actually had to have a t-19 input shaft rather than the t-18 I ordered. He told me they were exactly the same. I then called AA and they told me the same thing. As for the clutch pressure plate (or listed as clutch cover assembly) 4WD Hardware has them listed seperately for the 1-1/8 and 1-1/16 input shaft, yet the have the EXACT same part number. I personally think it will work for either. You do, however have to have the correct clutch disk...obviously.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.