Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am posting this for a friend. Here is some info. on the jeep. It is a 1980 CJ7 with I think a T176 tranny, 300 transfer, 6 cylinder.

He was driving it today and the clutch stopped working. He pulled over and found fluid running out under the jeep.

1. What would most likely be wrong. I am guessing slave cylinder maybe?

2. Does anyone have a manual they could scan some info. out of?

He does not have the money to take it somewhere and this is his only transportation. I will try to answer any questions. He is at work and I an going to try and help him fix it when he gets off.

Thanks

The Missouri Mule

·
Registered
1,848 Posts
My T176 tranny came from an 80 CJ5. It has a manual clutch (linkages).

You need more info. Is it brake fluid? Gear oil?? Any parts fall off??

DREW
IN2DEEP 78 CJ5

·
Registered
214 Posts
What do you mean by clutch stopped working?Does it feel like there is any spring pressure or does it go all the way to the floor with no resistance.Could it be the rear main seal let loose and oil down the clutch?Take the inspection cover off the front off the bellhousing and look inside,do you see oil?Broken parts?Look to see if it is a hydrualic clutch,a busted line?What style shifter,straight/T-176 or curved/SR-4 T-4.My 80 CJ had a T-176 with manual clutch also.

F.T.D
77 CJ7,79 CJ5 Plow Jeep.

·
Registered
79 Posts
My '80 CJ7 has the same setup, and it's a mechanical linkage. His could have been converted to a hydraulic set up, you'll have to look and see if it has a master cyl on the firewall and a slave on the bell housing, or is there a long rod that goes down through the firewall to a bell crank.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts