Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I think it might be time to switch to synthetic gear oil. My main reason for this is since I am from the Great White North it gets darn heck cold up here. Not uncommon for the temp to drop into minus 35 for extended nights. In the morning the ol Jeep just doesn't want to move easily. It is difficult to shift at times.
Will synthetic gear oil and tranny oil help with the cold weather shifting and moving of the diffs?
I have an 88YJ with a 4.0 and AX15 tranny, I still have the stock diffs 30/35.
What brand of synthetic gear oil would I use and are there specific weights/grades that should be recommended for my setup?

Cutch 88YJ

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Cutch, I think the synthetic would be a really good idea for you... I have a '94 YJ and live in Northern Pennsylvania, It gets pretty cold up here in the winter (not quite minus 35) but cold.. Anyways, the '94 YJ's have the same set up (ax-15 and 30/35) I had some shifting problems when the tranny was cold, but they would go away after a few miles of driving. I switched the gear oil to a synthetic (Mobil 1 75W90 GL-5) and cold-shifting has improved 100%, I even noticed a difference after it was warmed up.. You can use the same stuff in the diffs or if you do any towing go to a Mobil 1 80W140 GL-5.

There is some other stuff that is supposed to be pretty good called Redline, they make a product that is supposed to provide the exact amount of friction for shifting, but with a transmission that requires GL-5 protection, all they have to offer is a 75W90 gear oil....

Hope this helps...

Steve

1994 YJ Sahara

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Cutch, I recently changed everything in my '98 TJ over to Mobil 1. The first thing I noticed was a great reduction in rolling resistance and about a 2mpg increase in fuel economy. I ran Mobil 1 exclusively in my '88K2500...changed the engine oil at 10,000 mile intervals/ filters every 3000. I sold it to my brother with 195K on it and its now at 220ish. The only engine work that its had was valve seals at 200K at which point its compression was still at factory specs. Its all my TJ and '87Saab SPG will ever get. With sort of change interval it costs about the same too.

·
Registered
2,062 Posts
Yes, Mobil has a good product .......I had a V6 Citation that went over 250k without a tick .....I gave it away because the UV damage to the interior. On the Citation the oil was changed at the 1 year/25000 mile interval with filter changes and top offs at 3 month intervals ....the thing only consumed 1 quart every 7000 miles. I run it in my 99 TJ ......I also installed a high volume oil pump...dual filters are going on soon .......I change it twice a year regardless of mileage ....spring and fall. The stuff is just so damn stable ......each weight has a specific "feature" 0W30 has the best thermal protection 5W-30 has the best fuel economy ......I don't remember the 10W-30's claim to fame .......and the 15W-50 is for the turbo and extreme pressure/shear load type engines. You'll never have a cold start "stall" with Mobil 1 (you know ...it starts up fine and then stalls because the oil can't flow) ...... I haven't used the gear oil since I've had a reasonably long run of automatics (my TJ is a stick) ......I have used the Mobil 1 ATF ....in my Corsica you could really feel the difference ......I had the trans and power steering changed over ......on 15 degree days the trans used to hesitate going into gear and the power steering would, at the first turn of the wheel, have the pressure relief screaming .......but this was never a problem after the synth ATF was swapped for the conventional stuff.
GeeAea

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.