Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,748 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys,
Well, with the gasoline post a few posts down, I got to thinking.... We already have syntetic oil, and since gasoline is made from oil...

Anyone know anything about chemistry? A synthetic gasoline sure would be nice. /wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif We could all drive our nice gas-guzzling vehicles all the time.

Thoughts? I figured maybe a good discussion topic for a Friday.

Have a great weekend SWB BBS!
Pete /wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif

88 YJ - trails/beach trips only!/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif
79 4WD F250-hauler/tower of my toys
70 Jaguar E-type - the best car England ever made. /wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif
90 Honda CRX - Daily pavement-pounder. 42 MPG. /wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif

·
Registered
646 Posts
Synthetic oil is still crude based. It's the crude that cost money. And considering the cost of synthetic oil compaired to regular oil, I shudder to think of the price of synthetic gas.

Now if you build a car that runs on methane I'll buy one and be at White Castles every night.

·
Registered
1,748 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
How can synthetic oil be crude based? I thought the whole point was that there was no natural oil in a synthetic oil?

Pete

88 YJ - trails/beach trips only!/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif
79 4WD F250-hauler/tower of my toys
70 Jaguar E-type - the best car England ever made. /wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif
90 Honda CRX - Daily pavement-pounder. 42 MPG. /wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif

G

·
A lot of the busses and police cars around here run on methane. Also known as Compressed Natural Gas. It costs about $0.80 per gallon gas equivalent. Octane is about 140. You can mod a sbc to about 14:1 compression and get 500 hp and it burns really clean. In California you can use the carpool lane if you have a CNG vehicle.
Josiah

Hillsboro, OR
1955 Willys CJ5 Buick 225 V6 160HP 270ft-lbs, T90 trans, Warn OD, PTO winch, Spicer 18 T Case, RS9000's, Dana 25F/ 44R,
5.38:1 gears, 11" brakes, Bestop Supertop, Hurculiner

·
Registered
785 Posts
along the same lines...a diesel engine will run on just about any kind of oil. soybean, corn, sunflower, peanut, etc. i think they will also run with diesel fuel mixed with used motor oil as long as you change the fuel filters regularly. there are also some "greenies" that built a little processing plant that takes used deep-frying grease and turns it into diesel-type fuel. do a search for "bio-diesel". matt

·
Registered
605 Posts
I remember reading about that Chrysler concept truck that burned some sort of synthetic fuel that cost about the same as gasoline to produce (this is when gas was at about $1.20 a gallon). I'll see if I can find it.

'79 CJ-7

·
Registered
269 Posts
yeah, they called it syntroleum or something like that. I'm considering the biodiesel thing.... of course in the summer I could get away with running straight vegetable oil probably. Hmm... thats getting me to considering a mercedes or cummins swap into the cj2a again.

46cj2a beater and pile 0 parts.
75 cherokee parts pile

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.