Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK
Just got off the phone with Tom Woods (what a guy)
He is offering $60 off ANY of his SYE and shaft combos that are on his site

http://www.4xshaft.com/conversions.html

He says we must have 5 units for this discounts and because of all the interest i have heard here we should get that no problem.

Here is what to do:

Email ME (not him)

-Name
-Shipping Addreess
-What Ya Want
-What rig
-Daytime Phone Number

once i get 5 of them he wants me to call him and give him the info and then HE will call YOU for your shipping and CC info

sound cool?

sounds cool to me

email me the above ONLY if you are serious about this.

my email: [email protected]

thanks alot

Boston Mangler
89 YJ With A Bunch Of Goodies
See It At:
http://www.yankeetoys.org/mangler/

·
Registered
1,324 Posts
I'm in. What is the difference between the Curry kit and the early design kit? They're almost seem the same to me. Btw, can you find out if I can have the SYE now but the shaft about a month later? I won't have my SOA ready until mid June probably so I can't take measurements for the drive shaft.

'91 YJ,I-6,2.5" lift,Boomerangs,33s,D30,D35c,Lock-Rights F&R

·
Registered
149 Posts
I have talked to Tom. It is fine if you want your SYE now and then take measurements for your shaft. I believe he prefers it that way.
Any discount on a CV shaft alone?

·
Registered
1,324 Posts
That's cool. I was actually thinking of getting the RE kit where you cut and tap the output shaft yourself thinking that for a stocker 4.0 it should be strong enough and I don't have to take the tcase apart. Of course getting the HD kit and having to open the case up will only entice me to get the Tera 2wd low kit too which may not be a bad thing after all. /wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif

·
Registered
149 Posts
I just did the JB HD conversion kit today on a 93 wrangler and it was a piece of cake. Only a couple hour job, but i had my tub off because of all the work i am doing. You will need a good set of snap ring pliers and a large socket for the front drive shaft yoke and soon to be rear drive shaft yoke, and some gasket silicon.

·
Registered
1,324 Posts
I've heard about these "good" set of snap ring pliers you need from others too. What exactly makes it "good"? Does it have to be a certain size, shape, brand? I don't have one yet so I want to make sure I get the right one.

·
Registered
149 Posts
I dont know if there are two types of snap ring pliers. i know i didn't have the right ones but i made them work. The snap ring is essential a circle with a smal 1/4" section cut out at an angle. Ther might be special pliers for this type. Because of the size of the shaft the snap ring is quite large and you will need to have a room to sqeeze the pliers. At full compressionthe ends of the pliers (in my opinion) should have a "v-shape". Initially my plier ends were parallel and i had to take the grinder to my cheapo, piece of Sh*t tool to get it to open up enough.

·
Registered
1,324 Posts
Could you give me a measurement as to how wide the jaws need to open? (I guess that's the issue here) That way I can make sure that I get one with a wide enough opening.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I dont want to have to deal with opening up the transfer and am going to order a SYE on Monday. He doesnt sell the kind that you cut instead of replace does he? SCRAM

The moment you are born you start to die so buy A Jeep and play hard!!!!!

It's All Out or Nothing At All!!!!!!!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Jim,

I am going to be getting the JB kit. You didn't need to press on/off any bearings, correct?

And can you lend me your snap ring pliers?

Thanks,

Charly

You say tomato, I say fawk you.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
now for my yj SYE i had to have the drive sprocket bearings pressed off. this was an advance adapter kit via tom wood. the new output shaft resembles that found in the TJ series wranglers. this TJ shaft did not use a caged needle bearing on the drive sprocket. advance adapter used this design since it is the most current design engineered and being produced by new process.

the snap or retaining rings are no big deal- just hold your tongue/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif right. yeah the pliers want to be made in good old USA! flat ends at the nose with some checkering for grip. you may have to use a screwdriver along with the pliers to get the ring off. easier for me to get them on.

steve

·
Registered
3,932 Posts
I'm totally in, except for one thing. What kind of SYE is it? Just a shortened 231? Or s beefier 242 shaft? Cause I want it to hold up to Teraflex's 4:1 kit, that's why I was going to go Teraflex.

/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gifEat, Sleep, JEEP/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif
"James and the Giant Jeep"
1993 Wrangler 4.0/5spd, Herculined Interior, D44s w/Detroits and 4.56s soon to go SOA

G

·
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
is the 242 shaft more beefy? Cause if it is i screwed up when i ordered my kit. Maybe i just misread that SCRAM

The moment you are born you start to die so buy A Jeep and play hard!!!!!

It's All Out or Nothing At All!!!!!!!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
As the post says, you can get a discount of ANY of the kits offered by Tom Wood, which includes either the JB or AA HD SYE (which is a shaft similar in size to a 241, not a 242, BTW).

Or he offers either his own or a Currie reworked stock shaft (which is why he wants the cores).

I'd just get a HD SYE kit and be done with it.

Charly

·
Registered
3,932 Posts
Would the AA or JB hold up to the Teraflex 4:1 kit? That's really what I need to know. Thanks for the info on the 241, not 242;) Sorry...

/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gifEat, Sleep, JEEP/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif
"James and the Giant Jeep"
1993 Wrangler 4.0/5spd, Herculined Interior, D44s w/Detroits and 4.56s soon to go SOA

G

·
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
yep, they both are made to hold up to forces like that, and will hold up just fine.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts