Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I read somewhere that the Bronco's were based off of the F-150 1/2 ton chassis? Sooo... dare I say it. If I wanted a truck with the same capabilities of my Bronco, should I go the route of an 88-91 F-150? I'm looking for a crew cab or extended cab model as I'm not entirely sure if they made crew cab's for the F-150's back then.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

·
Registered
975 Posts
The Bronco uses the same rolling chassis as an F150 short bed. They only made crew cabs in F350's until recently, now you can get practically anything in a crew cab. Even a Ranger or Explorer.

The trouble with being on top...You always have to look over your shoulder. The best never rest. Fear the FORD thunder!!!

·
Registered
196 Posts
Doesn't the F-150 short bed have a longer wheelbase? A longer wheelbase means you are less manuverable, more prone to high-centering, etc. It will give you better stability at speed, and obviously, more room to put things.

Pharaoh
Yah baby, That's right! /wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Dude, Bronco's are shorter and thus much more more manueverable, manuverable, maneveable.......they are much more mobile...:) Don't get me wrong as I like the F-series vehicle but....I like the Bronco better...

Grizzly

·
Registered
196 Posts
/wwwthreads_images/icons/laugh.gif Griz, glad to see I'm not the only one to have trouble with that word.

Pharaoh

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
Re: Menu very bull.

Well If any of you have been to Fotthills 4x4 in Travelers Rest and seen the 79 Blue Bronco on 44" Boggers......
That is my buddy Todd's old Bronco. He traded it to them for a freaking 4 WHEELER!! And his brother tore that up almost 2 weeks later. The thing I like about Todd's Bronco is the drivetrain. 351/C6/205/Coiled D60 front/D70 and the 44" Boggers. It was easy to fit atleast 5 people in there and go cruisin. Now his dad is the man, he has a 78-79 Ford F150 4x4 on 44" Boggers. He has a coil sprung 60 front, and 80 rear!! being turned by a 429/C6/205... All suspension lift. These guys can build a truck. BTW, if you guys would like to know how he put a 1 ton coil sprung axle in the front of his truck, I can explain.
Oh, the point of this reply was to bring up that I like Bronco's better because of the simple fact more people can fit w/o fuss.

Soon to have a truck, in about 2.5 months when I get the money.

·
Registered
196 Posts

I remember a few years ago Off-Road (I think) featured a 78-79 Bronco that was on 44" swampers. It had a fast-back looking soft top and a big-block under the hood. The only reason I remember this truck is its name "Raisin Smuggler" refered to women in white t-shirts. /wwwthreads_images/icons/laugh.gif

Pharaoh

·
Registered
6,842 Posts

I would like to hear more about the coil-sprung D60 please! :)

It's a multi-purpose passenger vehicle and it eats SUVs for breakfast...get it straight!

Muddybronco

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
Coil Sprung D60

Ok, here goes.
First he used big square tubing to keep the axle in place, and mounted that using U-bolts. He had to grind down a little part of the right side of the axle on the bottom, more of a notch, so the inside U-bolt would fit flat. BTW, the U-bolts are mounted with the nuts going uo toward the oil pain of the engine. then he took probably 1 inch square tubing and welded it vertically beside the big square tubing, I believe that is called the trailing arm??, and comes up past the top of the trailing arm and then a piece of 1/4" flat steel was used as the mount for the coil. The coils still mount up top in the same place. He has a quad shock setup and they mount on top of the trailing arm. He says he would like to re-design the setup, because the stands he has look like he is trying to get an extra couple inches of lift. But he simmply has to get up over that big 4" in diamater square trailing arm.

Soon to have a truck, in about 2.5 months when I get the money.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts