Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
417 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This has to be the dumbest question anyone has asked, lol. But the other day i was trying to take off my sway bar, i dont have the quick discos. And the thing wouldnt come off, i tried taking off the top nut on both sides, then the bottom nut on both sides, and with all 4 of them off the thing wouldnt budge. will someone please tell me how you take it off please. thanks
andrew

This is a cj sway bar, it is rounded when it turns down towards teh ground.

·
Official Historian
8,275 Posts
Try putting a jack handle between the bottom of the link and the spring and prying it off the u-bolt plate mount. That's how I got mine off.

79/CJ-7/AMC360/TH400/Q-TRAC/d30/d44/33's/RS9000s/Herculiner/Pro-jection 2D/MSD/4.10s/lockrights

G

·
I used a torch, that worked really well to get rid of the wore out bushings...no, I didn't cut the bar in half. I just burnt the bushings, I was going to change them anyway.

JR
'94YJ,4cyl,33SX's,Locked F/R,NV4500,Soon to come:Wagoneer 44 Scout 44 & spools

·
Registered
2,547 Posts
This is what I just did yesterday.

1. Take the swaybar out, that means removing the two bushings underneath.
2. Pry the bottom swaybar arm out (Either side)so it slips off the bolt.
3. Take the whole thing (Swaybar + 2 arms) out of the jeep.
4. Put the nut back on the top portion (Connected to the swaybar)of the swaybar arm back on, couple of turns (Not all the way down).
5. Whack it hard with a sledge, on top of the nut, it will come out.

That is as far as I got yesterday.

Good Luck.

Scott
'85 CJ7_(0|||0)_T.H.O.R.
/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif"Tantrums Happen Often during Repairs"
/wwwthreads_images/icons/laugh.gif"Totally Happy Off Road"

G

·
Just get rough with it...destroy it if you have to...In my opinion you don't need it. I run everyday with my swaybar disconnected. (I plan on taking it off one day) I do a lot of road driving to work and back, i haven't noticed much difference in handling. I run a mild suspension lift (around 2 1/2") and 33's on my CJ. It may be a totally different situation with a SOA and/or gobs of lift.

Austin's Auto Accessories, LLC
5205 Gulf Breeze Parkway
Gulf Breeze, Florida 32561
Ph.# 850-916-7100

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.