Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
438 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello guys now that this board will allow me to login again.... I need to put sway bars on the Jeepster and was wondering about suggestions for size. I had to remove the front when I did the power steering modification. Then I over compensated the rear spring rates to make it safe to drive on the highway (too much body roll).
I am thinking of making some custom sway bars out of either the two front Jeepster bars I have or some other stock (junkyard) swaybar. Any experience with diameter, width, or length of arms? I plan to cut some of the length off the arms then weld some flat steel to that bar stopping short of the twisting portion.
The metal would have a deep notch to fit tightly around the sway bar arms vertically. I think this should give me enough strength. Then the rest of the arm would look much like the custom swaybar/arm kits you can buy for $200-$500.

Any thoughts or ideas are much appreciated!

·
Registered
11,504 Posts
I would expect problems from the welds. Sway bars are spring steel. When you weld them the metallurgy changes in the heat affected zone. The resulting weld can be plenty strong, but break soon because of metal fatigue. I don't KNOW that this will happen, but I would expect it.

When working with steel springs you should:

1) Make mechanical connections wherever possible

2) If you must weld, use the same steel alloy, in similar cross section, (stiffness is what really counts) and have it heat treated after welding.

·
Registered
438 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
OK that makes sense, and I didn't think of that angle.
How about this: Use thick wall steel pipe that the steel arm is welded. That steel pipe is then slide over the arms and two or three bolts clamp into the sway bar arms to hold in place. Or make the cylindrical arms more square and use square tube in the same way?

·
Registered
11,504 Posts
Yep. That's the way to go about it.

You do have to be be precise about it, though. The pieces will have to fit together snugly before they're clamped, and the clamps will have to apply a lot of squeeze. If there's any movement between the parts they'll work loose sooner or later.

·
Registered
438 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I would buy the custom bars but there is that $200 plus price tag, not to mention I like to try something new especially if I can wrap my imagination around the idea. This way I already have two bars to play with and I'm sure junkyards aren't too proud of their swaybars.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts