Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was wondering if taking off my sway bar in the front will do anything bad to my truck, I had heard that if you take it off you will have a true independent front suspension and you will have more travel. Please help because I have the Fabtech lift and my torsions are cranked all the way and I have NO down travel.
Kevin

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I'm not running any sway-bars, but that's just me I've found it to be no problem, just somthing you have to get used to (Handling that is!) I'm also running a solid axle, so I can't really give you an accurate assessment. When I still had my IFS I always ran it with the rear bar out, but never tried the front, hmmmm I wonder why? I guess I just listened to other people without trying it myself.
Give it shot, it you don't like it you can alway's re-connect it?

Chris J.
/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gifIt's not the Biggest, but at least I use it!/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I am running my 89 Hardbody 4x4 without the front swaybar. It is great for offroad, but on road is a different story. Lots of body lean in the corners - freeway offramps with turns can be scary. My truck is mostly a trail truck and so it is fine with me, but if I did a lot of street driving then I would put it back on or do a swaybar disconnect. Take it off and see what you think but be careful. It really handles differently but you can get used to it.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I disconnected my swaybar to see what all the fuss was about and it does make a difference in the woods. I only had my truck on the road a short time and decided I was better off in the trails. Be careful on Tar with no sway bar. It wont handle like a porsche thats for sure!

Throw it in reverse and grab second

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
So, with the sway bar disconnected there shouldnt really be any problem? Otherwise, does it lean hard when you take around corners and say 20mph. Also does it have better handling, articulation and down travel wise, I would like to hear some thoughts before I go out and do this. Also its and Independent front its not a 4wd solid axle conversion.
Kevin

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yes I know it's got IFS, and no it won't flip-over doing 20 mph. You will notice alot more body-roll but it's not un-driveable. It will give you much better travel etc, on the trails. The only fall-back is mainly with the rear-sway-bar, if you rip it right out you'll be fine otherwise the say-bar end links where it is usually connected will flex downward on you droop side and digg'in to the ground or catch the rock underneath you!

Chris J.
/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gifIt's not the Biggest, but at least I use it!/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The other day I noticed that the bushings on the connection bolt (drivers side) have premature and uneven wear compared to the passenger side. I don't want to disconnect the sway-bar, but I was wondering if anyone had an idea as to what may be causing this.

Keep in mind that I'm a greenhorn!

MODS: Rancho 5000's; 31"BFG-AT/Ko's; Rhino spray-on bedliner; SnugTop sleeper
AUDIO: Rockford Fosgate RFX-8210 CD Deck; MTX RT2100X Amplifier (280 watts); MTX 3x10" Thunder 6000 Subwoofers

Attachments

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Those look normal to me (the ones in the picture at least). Don't know what would cause that besides the bolts/nuts not being torqued down enough. This would cause more play between the parts and they might wear strangely. In any case, it isn't a major deal but if you are concerned, then I would check the connections for excess play.

Rockjaw
89 Nissan KingCab 4x4

G

·
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks brother! To be honest, I didn't even know what I was looking at until I posted the same question on 4x4parts. I just never got a clear response on how serious my situation is before the server went down.

After reading the previous posts in this thread, I figured it wasn't as big of a concern as I first thought. Thanks again rockjaw!

Rancho 5000's; 31"BFG-AT/Ko's; K&N cone filter; Rhino Bedliner; SnugTop sleeper

G

·
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
No problem Jeff.

Mudman - LOL. I thought the same thing until I looked at the date. Kinda cool such an old thread came back to the top. I guess we can thank Jeff for doing a search before he asked a question (wish more people would do that - lots of info has been given here and the old threads are quite a resource).

Rockjaw
89 Nissan KingCab 4x4

G

·
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Hey Jeff, so you found your way over to the off-road.com BBS. I was looking at the picture of your truck in your signature and recognized it as one I took at Hollister.

later

1 - 13 of 13 Posts