Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, I have a 1984 cj7 with a 4cyl engine. I can get a free 258 motor that just needs a rebuild. My question is will I be able to use the stock parts already in it with this motor??? It has a t-5 tranny, and a d300 tc. If it will fit to these i will rebiuld the motor. Any help will be appreciated. Thanks.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Hey bud,
Definately you should be able to use your stock tranny and transfer case. I have an '82 258 with a t-4 (basically the same as t-5) and the dana300 combo. The only thing that I am not sure of--are the engine mounts and bolt ups to the bellhousing, but pretty sure they should work too.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have a CJ7 that had this swap done the only problem is the clutch on the 258 isbiger and has a diferent spline 4 cylinder is 14 spline 258 has 10 spline you can just change trans shafts most parts places sell them for around 100$ hope this helps

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Don't forget that you will have to change many other parts also, and it would help to have a buddy with a 4.2l equipt CJ as a "blueprint" as to where everything goes. Good luck.

·
Official Curmudgeon
4,707 Posts
What year engine? Have you read the posts about 258 oil leaks? Just want you to know what you're
getting yourself into.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.