Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Gang! I need your input and advice. I am going to replace my ole 258 with either a 94 or 95 4.0L with all the trimmings (wiring harness, computer, etc.). What I can't decide to do is, should I freshen up my existing T-176 4spd., and mate this to the 4.0 or should I get an AX-15 5spd. to drop into my CJ8 with the 4.0L? I know the NV4500 is the way to go, but I can't do it this go around. I thought about the AX-15, because, a). it is a 5spd, and b). the flywheel sensor is right there for the 4.0L/AX-15 combo. OR, should I locate a 4.0L with an automatic? I don't know what would be involved in awapping in an auto into my 85 CJ since it has a manual tranny already. This is my daily driver. What is the smart, cost sensible thing to do? Thanks.

G

·
One thing to think about, the AX15 has a lower 1st gear than the 176. The 176 is the best trans available in a CJ in the 80s, but the 1st gear is in the 3.50 range, whereas I believe the AX15 has a 1st gear near 4.00, somewhere in the 3.80s I think.

Brad (from the 4 Wheeling center of the universe, 4 corners USA)

G

·
I am planning/shopping the same swap for my 83CJ8 except I have a tired T5 trans. My goal is to find a Cherokee donor because of the AW4 auto trans which has a 4th overdrive gear. While I do not know this as a fact, my belief is that the AX-15 is light duty 5 speed much like the T5 and I consider my options the T18 or the AW4.

My opinions of the AW4 are high and I consider the 4th gear in the auto or 5th gear in the manual important because of the 4:10 axle ratio I have.

Another issue - I have read you will need a 3/4 inch spacer to connect either the AX-15 or the AW4 to your Dana 300. You would save this part with the T-176.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.