Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 97 honda 300 4x4, but i have the chance to pick up a suzuki quad king.
does anyone know how the suzuki compares to the honda? and if so, in what ways?
i don't want to sell the honda until i know more about the suzuki, its a 1998.
any input would be great. i love the honda, but the suzuki does have the indepentant suspention, and more cc's, and switchable 4x4.
are there design flaws or common problems with them thou?

thanks for the help

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Forget the Suzuki, the honda is the most reliable machine on the planet !! If you want power, look into a Yamaha !

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The Suzuki King Quad is in a class of it's own. It's
packed with features that 4WD enthusiasts crave.
Hi-Lo-Super lo ranges, 2 or 4wd, Locking front
differential, Ind. susp., Good ground clearance, Low
center of gravity, Full skidplate. Having owned a King
Quad since 93 (bought new), I don't believe there's a more
reliable machine out there. If buying used, as with
anything, how the previous owner used and maintained it
would be my only concerns. Good Luck

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I saw one reply that detailed the King Quads features so I'll skip that except to say the thing is bullet-proof as far as reliability. I also saw a reply that said forget the Suzuki, please don't read much into that as that statement clearly shows a lack of experience with and/or lack of REAL knowledge of this great machine. Yes Honda has the best reliability record, but thats because they sell so much more quads than Suzuki that you just don't hear as much about the King Quads as much as you do the Honda 300 4x4's. Then there's always the matter of just personal preference. I suggest , if possible, you contact a riding club member or anyone else with a King Quad and see if you can ride one a while. The main thing I love about my King Quad besides the gearing and the locking front differential is the balance/low center of gravity that makes it so much easier for difficult manuevers in hilly steep terrain, creek banks, etc. If I was to try some of the manuevers on a Grizzly that I've performed on the King Quad the top-heavy Grizzly would roll over and crush me. One thing to keep in mind is that the King Quad isn't built for speed, if you wanna go fast (I'm talking 50,60 mph) don't get the KQ.

good luck!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
What size suzuki is it. I would say that suzukis are second in reliability, but extremly good though. However it is alot easier to work on your honda and cheaper if you ever have to work on it. If the suzuki is the 500 get it, other than that, all of the other suzuki 4x4s are slower and heavier and don't have as good of a suspension as the Honda 300. A big plus for the Suzuki is that you actually have true four wheel drive at the pull of a lever. Hondas have limited slips in the front end, which can sometimes leave you with one front tire spinning instead of both. BTW does anyone know when the 500s came out 98 or 99, I don't remember.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The King Quad we're talking about has a 280cc engine. Glad u at least credited them with 2nd place in reliability :) From what I've seen in all the ATV catalogs & magazines I believe you about it being cheaper to work on the honda, lots more aftermarket goodies for the Honda's also. The KQ suspension is good, it just ain't very high, not as much travel. My preload is set all the way up & IS NOT a high speed set up, but I don't go fast. I do alot of camping & carry a lot of gear thru all different kinds of terrain and it does great, albiet at slower trail speeds. I have no desire to go fast so that don't hurt my feelings any. I LOVE the hondas but I just HAD to have the gearing options the KQ had, and I'm really really happy with it & would buy it again if shopping for a mid-weight 4X4 ATV. My next ATV (if I can afford it) will most likely be a Honda Foreman, as a bigger bore engine is what I will want, and reliability being number one on my wants list it'll have to be a honda. the Suzi 500 don't have the good track record the King Quads do, but the Foremans? I hear nothing but good things about 'em.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.