Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My rear leaf springs have me puzzled. They make a nasty popping sound when I go around corners or flex the suspension too much. I disconnected the axle and reconnected it, torquing the u-bolts to spec, in hopes of relieving any lateral tension in the springs, and it worked for about two days, and the problem gradually came back. I retorqued the u-bolts, but that didn't help. I'm not sure if I have a problem in the spring pack itself, or if the problem is with the spring/axle relationship. Somebody help!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Did this start when after you removed the axle? If so, you should have replaced the old U-bolts with new ones. They are designed to stretch and should be replaced, not reused. Another options is you're track bar (rear sway-bar). That's all I can think of right now.

Nick Hagen
1995 Wrangler
33" Mud Tires and a four banger

·
Registered
4,143 Posts
I have this same problem. My passenger rear leaf springs pop when I pull into my driveway or anywheres that involes turning and going up something like that. Also off-road they do it a lot. I haven't done a thing about it since nothing seems broken. My theory is its something to do with the rubber pads at the end of the leaf springs- since that one noisy pack has some of the rubber pads twisted around a bit. How will a Jeep (YJ) handle on the road with no rear track bar?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
What brand of springs? Also check your shackles, if they are over tight they bind against the bushings and can cause a pop. U-bolts can be an issue, if they have been used twice it is time for new (good time to step up a size). Myself personally would have removed the track bar when I installed the lift. Leaf springs make little use of a track bar, and eventually will find that the mounts will break off of the frame if you wheel hard. As far as the nylon rub pads in the springs go, if they are crooked it is ok, missing is bad.

MANN!!!!!!!!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Two possibilites...

First, the leafs are actually rotating with each other when you turn, this is usually on the front leafs and can be duplicated by turning the wheel back and forth...have the spouse do it for you while you watch it.....you should be able to see the leafs slip sideways a little.

Second...if you have poly bushings then they are poping....even though you grease them before you installed them....after a few months they pop when you make large changes in spring pos...i.e., the torquing motion creted when backing up....its usually the main one attached to the frame. I working on a way to grease them...

Good Luck.........John

84CJ7

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I have that problem with mine and it seems to be the track bar. I could see scrape marks where the bolt and washer had slipped in the oblong mounting hole in the bracket on the top of the axle. I tighted that bolt and the problem went away for about a month but is back again. The washer seems to be bent so I may need to replace it and torque the bolt to keep it from slipping. I doesn't seem to be causing any problems (other than making noise) so it isn't high on my fix it list.

·
Registered
4,143 Posts
My suspension is stock, I dont even have diconnects yet for my swaybar (snorkel is more important in the mud and water I deal with.) Can I just disconnect my rear trackbar and leave it that way so I gain some articulation in the back? Exhaust interference is not a problem since the exhaust ends just past the skidplate...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.